Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stuck salt cell

1. Back To Top    #1

stuck salt cell

We unscrew our salt cell every 3 months when the check cell light comes on with no problem. This time the cell just won't budge. It doesn't help that it is up against the wall and the big filter cartridge dome is in front of it so it is awkward to access at best. Is there a special tool that can help loosen this up? Maybe a strap wrench? Thanks in advance!
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stuck salt cell

I use a strap wrench on mine that I got from Sears, Sears.com.

It also comes in handy for my filter drain cap that is difficult to reach.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Oil filter pliers. I lifted the image from home depot. Local auto parts store should have one, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Its ok to use a a wrench to loosen the unions (just be very careful!!) BUT when you re-install it, the unions should only be hand tight. There is never a reason to use a wrench to tighten PVC unions. Also, always check the rubber o-ring and sealing surfaces to make sure they are not scratched and free of debris. Lube the o-rings up with a 100% silicone based lube and re-install hand tight. That's all it should take to properly seal PVC unions.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a strap wrench. They are very useful for this and oil filters in the car etc. Just get a large one. I had to go over to my friends house to help him remove his after he bought a small strap wrench. The small strap wrenches are toys IMHO. Mine came with small and large and small one broke years ago.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replys! We purchased one and it worked like a champ.
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

stuck salt cell

The best thing to lube a gasket with is Dow 55. It's expensive. But it swells the gasket just a little. I put a dab in my finger and run the gasket between my thumb and finger. You don't need a lot. I've had ok luck with silicone spray too. Spray onto a rag and the rub that on he gasket.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDLu View Post
    Thanks for the replys! We purchased one and it worked like a champ.
    Lisa,

Just curious for future questions... which product did you buy, the strap wrench or the oil filter pliers??

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDLu View Post
    We unscrew our salt cell every 3 months when the check cell light comes on with no problem. This time the cell just won't budge. It doesn't help that it is up against the wall and the big filter cartridge dome is in front of it so it is awkward to access at best. Is there a special tool that can help loosen this up? Maybe a strap wrench? Thanks in advance!
    Don't use a strap wrench. I broke a union that way. I'd use a large pipe wrench, carefully.

Try wearing Nitrile gloves, they add a great amount of friction.
    SWG: CircuPool (5/2018) Universal 40; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006 Last Circupool SI30+ 4 years RIP.