Pump and filter ? Pool store is no help

Caspeo

Apr 5, 2016
E.Bridgewater Ma
So I'm trying to change out my filter and pump. I currently have a cartridge style but I'm not a big fan of it. I would like to switch to a DE system and I'm thinking of the Hayward EC50. I have a single speed motor now but was thinking of switching to a 2sp. So I went to the local pool store which I usually try to stay away from and got nowhere they only want to sell you what they have in stock everything else they don't recommend lol. Basically my ? Is is it worth switching to a 2sp motor and do I have to change any wiring ? Also what HP should I run ? Now the other ? Is I'm adding a slide to the pool this year it's about 4' tall good for the kids and has a hook up for water off the pump. Will the low speed setting on the 2sp motor be able to run this slide ? FYI I have some long runs of hose but I use the solid hose not the cheap stuff.

Switching to a 2-speed will save you a lot on the electric bill. A 1hp or 1.5hp 2 speed is plenty of pump for your set-up.
To plumb the slide in get a 3-way diverter valve and put it on the return line to the filter. That way when on low speed you can divert the entire pump flow to the slide if you need to which again should be plenty. Chances are you will only divert about half the return flow to the slide on low speed would be my guess. Do you know currently what voltage your pump is running on that is the first place to start when looking for a new pump.

Going to DE is the same amount of maintenance if not more than a cartridge filter. What is it you dislike about the filter?

I would shop the online retailers to save some money on the equipment ( inyopools.com , Amazon are on the top of my list). If your pool store doesn't have the equipment ask if they will install stuff for you that you buy if you aren't comfortable doing the installation.

Ok I have that same valve on the other side as well because I have the skimmer plus a bottom drain in the deep end. I'm currently running 120v to my pump. Do the two speeds just have a switch on the side ? Are they usually 120 ?

last year was the 1st year I've ever had a pool. Just had bought the house. I felt like I was cleaning out the filter constantly and was a pain to clean it. I was told by a few people that the filter was under sized for my pool and that cartridges are typically under sized when installed. Also the cartridge looks pretty old as well as the pump and motor. I figured by the time I replaced the cartridge and motor/pump I could just buy a whole new system for the same $

Like duraleigh said if the maintenance of cleaning the filter is bugging you a sand filter is the way to go. They make 2-speed motors that are either 110v or 230v. You just need to know what you are working with when you start.

A filter like this
A pump like this

Just using those two as an example. But something like that would be a great low maintenance combo.

Switching to a 2-speed will save you a lot on the electric bill. A 1hp or 1.5hp 2 speed is plenty of pump for your set-up.
To plumb the slide in get a 3-way diverter valve and put it on the return line to the filter. That way when on low speed you can divert the entire pump flow to the slide if you need to which again should be plenty. Chances are you will only divert about half the return flow to the slide on low speed would be my guess. Do you know currently what voltage your pump is running on that is the first place to start when looking for a new pump.

Going to DE is the same amount of maintenance if not more than a cartridge filter. What is it you dislike about the filter?

I would shop the online retailers to save some money on the equipment ( inyopools.com , Amazon are on the top of my list). If your pool store doesn't have the equipment ask if they will install stuff for you that you buy if you aren't comfortable doing the installation.

I thought a sand filter and cartridge filter both perform well, running on the low speed of a 2 speed pump , but a DE filter wont perform as well on the low speed and lower pressure ? Is that not correct ?

So I just pulled out the cartridge and noticed a date stamp on it from April of 2000. Wow that means this is the original filter the pool came with. Surprised I never noticed this stamp last season. Maybe that's half the problem. From what I've read this cartridge should've been replaced several times already. Maybe just a new cartridge would do the trick as far as filtering goes. It also looks like it's 100sqft and I think I can fit a 150 in the same space.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.