Getting FC down to target after slamming

Dec 12, 2013
Houston, TX
Ended up with a high CYA, around 120 and algae was beginning to form (long story). All other test readings are at normal levels.

Reduced my PH to 7.2 started to do partial drains and refills to get CYA to get around 60 or so. I'm currently in the middle of this process. Today is my 3rd day into this process. During this partial draining & refill process I went ahead and brought my FC up to Slamming levels with bleach to keep any further growth of algae. Running my pump 24/7 and brushing twice a day and cleaned my filter yesterday. My CYA as of last night was 75-80 or so and am going to do another partial drain this morning and then check my CYA again tonight. Again...I'm keeping my FC at slamming levels during this process which right now is approx. 25. I think that's what it was. It was late I was tired. When I started my slamming FC level was 33. Pool is looking good, algae has been greatly reduced.

My 1st question is:
Once I get my CYA down to normal levels, and there still is all this bleach in the pool from slamming, does it just evaporate over time and I monitor it till it drops down to my normal FC target?

My 2nd question is:
Is it really necessary to get CYA down to around 50 or 60 OR will 70-80 be ok too?

thx

Chlorine breaks down in sunlight. So it will go down even if there is no algae left. Be patient.

You can certainly keep the CYA high if you wish. You'll need to maintain a higher minimum FC level, but the actual bleach consumption will be pretty much the same. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart Your higher minimum FC will preclude you from being able to use the OTO quick test for chlorine, though, since your minimum will be its maximum. You'll have to use the powder & drops every time.

My 1st question is:
Once I get my CYA down to normal levels, and there still is all this bleach in the pool from slamming, does it just evaporate over time and I monitor it till it drops down to my normal FC target?

It will come down quickly. I just finished a slam this week. On Wednesday I was at FC 24 (mustard algae high shock level for CYA of 40) and today it was back down to 9 around lunchtime.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.