Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strainer Gasket Sticky

1. Back To Top    #1

Strainer Gasket Sticky

Anyone have any ideas why this gasket is so gummed up and sticky? I can not seem to get this thing clean. My first year with this pool so I am at a loss for how this got like this. So far I tried soap and water on it but it is impossible to get this sticky stuff off. I keep rubbing and rubbing and it just smears.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Strainer Gasket Sticky

My guess is someone put the wrong kind of lube on it. I would buy a new gasket, clean out the lid with Goo-gone, and install the gasket with correct gasket lube
    Old 20,000g IG Diving pool with spa. Heater needs replaced. Polaris cleaner with booster pump. Hayward 72sf stainless DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Strainer Gasket Sticky

Does the gasket itself feel okay? It could just be pool lube, which seems to act as a dried-grass-and-grit magnet. It won't wash off with soap or detergent, even.

Or, as Hammond mentioned, it could have been greased up with the wrong stuff, like WD40 or motor oil, which makes the rubber itself start getting soft and swollen and mushy.

If it was sealing okay before and still fits nice in the groove, gibe ity a coat of pool lube and put it back together. Or clean it up and replace it. A new O-ring should be inexpensive and readily available at the pool store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!