Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Extension cord for Aquabot S2 40...

1. Back To Top    #1

Extension cord for Aquabot S2 40...

I would like to keep the PSU for my aquabot near my house (in a shed), but that means the cord to the bot itself is a little short. Is there anyway to extend this power cable?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

*obviously the extension will never get submerged in water

Thanks
    13'x28' Fiberglass (13500gal), MagneTek 3450RPM pump, Pentair (something) filter, K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Extension cord for Aquabot S2 40...

Yes, a short extension cord rated to handle the electrical load. The PSU would still be too far from the pool to fall in. Manufacturers may not recommend it for liability reasons but on a GFI circuit I don't see any danger.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

3. Back To Top    #3

Having trouble finding a cord that will fit though... look at the two links, can anyone point me to a cable wtih two ends like that? 20feet or so should be enough
    13'x28' Fiberglass (13500gal), MagneTek 3450RPM pump, Pentair (something) filter, K2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tfpusername View Post
    Having trouble finding a cord that will fit though... look at the two links, can anyone point me to a cable wtih two ends like that? 20feet or so should be enough
    Go see if your computer,printer,or monitor power cable will connect. If so, then: 15ft 18 AWG Computer Power Extension Cord (IEC320C14 to IEC320C13) (TAA Compliant) | C2G
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a very unusual plug configuration and I have worked on equipment all over the world. It might be proprietary. The round pin is what makes it so different.

Have you tried contacting Aquabot to see if they have anything?

I did try and search the web for something like that without success
    I'm a black and white type of guy ... the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
    750 gal fiberglass built in spa with Hayward equipment. Pump is SP3010X15AZ Control is Aqua Plus with a T-cell-3 SWG and a H400FD Heater, Hayward C12002 cartridge filter filter

6. Back To Top    #6

tfp,

As long as none of this will be near the water, what I would do is just buy a standard extension cord and a male and female connector that can fit on either end of the extension cord. Cut the existing cable going to the robot about two feet from the power supply end, and attach one of the standard ends.. At the now bare wire end from the robot attach the other standard end. Insert the extension cord in between and you are done.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

At the now bare wire end from the robot attach the other standard end

Hmm cutting and attaching bare wires (especially for an outdoor cable).. dunno

Unless I can find a cord that fits, I may end up just moving the psu closer to the pool, and hiding it in a little box. I want to leave the thing outside all the time, so I wouldn't mind leaving the psu next to the pool, as long as it could survive the 110 degree heat/sun (so would need some kind of shelter)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    tfp,

As long as none of this will be near the water, what I would do is just buy a standard extension cord and a male and female connector that can fit on either end of the extension cord. Cut the existing cable going to the robot about two feet from the power supply end, and attach one of the standard ends.. At the now bare wire end from the robot attach the other standard end. Insert the extension cord in between and you are done.

Jim R.
    Not the best idea, I tried looking up what voltage was going to the head unit but found nothing.

I am presuming that it is not 120V and installing a 120V type plug could lead someone to plug in accidently into a wall socket sending 120V into the head.

There is a reason why it is a proprietary type plug, normally it is for safety

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tfpusername View Post
    Hmm cutting and attaching bare wires (especially for an outdoor cable).. dunno

Unless I can find a cord that fits, I may end up just moving the psu closer to the pool, and hiding it in a little box. I want to leave the thing outside all the time, so I wouldn't mind leaving the psu next to the pool, as long as it could survive the 110 degree heat/sun (so would need some kind of shelter)[/COLOR]
    I agree, even though they do make water tight fittings.... I would still try calling Aquabot for their input.
    I'm a black and white type of guy ... the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
    750 gal fiberglass built in spa with Hayward equipment. Pump is SP3010X15AZ Control is Aqua Plus with a T-cell-3 SWG and a H400FD Heater, Hayward C12002 cartridge filter filter