Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vanishing cya

1. Back To Top    #1

Vanishing cya

So 3 weeks ago I started the TFP method to get my pool under control and get the danged old algae out once and for all. So I had to drain my pool over 3/4 of the way to bring my cya down from 200ppm. Which got me down to 60ppm which I can live with so now I have been only adding bleach and MA for 3 weeks and my cya has slowly gotten down to 30ppm ? Why is my cya still lowering I would prefer to keep it at 50ppm cause my pool gets full sun. Am I missing something?
    Current pool results

13k IG Pebble Tec Jandy cartridge Jandy VSP 2hp
    Clear O2 , Ozone UV system
    Circu-pool RJ30+ Polaris 9550

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vanishing cya

It is surprising to me that the CYA would have dropped that much ... could be partially testing error?
    CYA does actually breakdown very slowly (<5ppm per month in the summer), but I think high FC levels can speed that up some.

Have you been pumping any more water out? Do you have an auto-fill that could be hiding a leak? ... These do not seem very probable to me.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Vanishing cya

Yeah I fill up the pool about every 5 days which is half a tile worth we did get some fresh rain but only a .250 inch it's definitely a head scratcher. During the slam I was burning off the last of a couple pucks and I do get my sample right in front of a return could that skew my test results ? Also my new cya test regeants im using came off a jug from my local pool store I know he goes through that stuff pretty quick so I'm guessing it's still good but you never know

13k IG Pebble Tec Jandy cartridge Jandy VSP 2hp
    Clear O2 , Ozone UV system
    Circu-pool RJ30+ Polaris 9550