Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What chemicals do I really need

1. Back To Top    #1

What chemicals do I really need

I see a lot of chemicals listed in the pool math calculator but which ones do people use with regularity?

Bleach (or liquid chlorine)
    Borate
    Baking Soda
    Calcium Chloride
    Calcium Chloride Dihydrate
    Stabilizer
    Muriatic Acid
    Dry Acid
    21,000 gallon, In Ground, Vinyl
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 420 Sq. Ft. (Switched from sand filter in May of 2017)
    Waterway Champion 56 Frame 1hp Pool Pump
    Using TF-100 Start Up XL - Pool filled from well in 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What chemicals do I really need

All I ever add is 12.5% bleach, 31.45% Muriatic Acid, and Trichlor pucks during vacations.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

So you don't worry about CYA or TA
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 420 Sq. Ft. (Switched from sand filter in May of 2017)

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the status of your water? Test results?

We generally do not recommend buying anything until you know if you need it ... and you know if you need it by testing the water with one of the recommended test kits
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by firstplacetrophy View Post
    So you don't worry about CYA or TA
    My pool has enough CYA in it since it doesn't evaporate out and the pucks replenish what splashes out. My tap water is hard enough to maintain the TA without having to purchase baking soda.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

No test results yet, I just received the TF-100 yesterday and I'm not opening the pool for another few weeks. Just curious of the chemical I should keep in stocked at all times.

7. Back To Top    #7

The only thing you currently know you will always need is chlorine.
    Everything else depends on the test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by firstplacetrophy View Post
    No test results yet, I just received the TF-100 yesterday and I'm not opening the pool for another few weeks. Just curious of the chemical I should keep in stocked at all times.
    The only thing you can be certain of is bleach, but that has a shelf life, so there's no point in buying up a truckload because it will deteriorate over time and leave you with some expensive salt water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds good, I'm picking up 20 bottles of chlorine tonight ($1.50 per 12.5% bottle at Menards if anyone has a Menards nearby)

10. Back To Top    #10

Rarely have I used anything listed above in your list except bleach (when I want instant rise in FC, the SWG works slowly) and muriatic acid for pH and even that is pretty rarely needed in my pool.

I added calcium once in 5 years but you have a vinyl pool and don't need to worry about it.

The only things I would suggest keeping on hand is bleach and Muriatic Acid (only one jug, never stored near metals or bleach). Then depending on your own test results you can buy anything else as needed and not deal with having to store it.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard