Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA and PH swings

1. Back To Top    #1

TA and PH swings

So I have a fairly new pool and the PH is high (8.0 or so) everyday when I test it. So add enough MA to bring it down to 7.4 or so and then next day back up to 8.0. Pool builder said I'll be chasing this for a good 6 months but didn't say why. My TA was 80-120 up until about two weeks ago when I tested and it was 60. So I added baking soda. That brought it up to 80...but then the PH went high so I added MA and then that brought both down. How do I get out of this yo-yo effect with PH and TA as I try to raise one but lower the other?! All my other readings are all within normal range per TFP standards and I have zero water issues as the water is crystal clear. Thanks for any info!

FC=4.4
    TA=60
    PH=7.6
    CH=280
    CYA=30
    13,700 gallon, IG plaster pool/spa, cartridge filter, 2 sheer descents by Anthony and Sylvan. BBB method. Stenner pump for chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA and PH swings

Leave the TA lower.

Also, you'll be dealing with rising pH for a while just from curing plaster.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Leave the TA lower.

Also, you'll be dealing with rising pH for a while just from curing plaster.
    So TA being around 60 is no problem?
    13,700 gallon, IG plaster pool/spa, cartridge filter, 2 sheer descents by Anthony and Sylvan. BBB method. Stenner pump for chlorine.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Trifive View Post
    So TA being around 60 is no problem?
    Not at all. That's where I run mine.

Plug your numbers into poolmath and check the CSI calculation at the bottom. You might decide to target 7.4 or 7.5 when you add acid, just to keep CSI in the +/- 0.5 range.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!