Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get alkaline down , new plaster pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get alkaline down , new plaster pool

Diamondbrite day 6
    ph6.8
    alk 220
    FAC 0

im afraid to add more muratic acid because ph is getting to low, I'm afraid to start adding bleach till I get ph and alkaline right.

what do I do?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get alkaline down , new plaster pool

Aerate. That will raise the pH without raising TA.

There's complete instructions in Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That said, you don't want to have an algae breakout with new plaster! Get some bleach in there quick.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by triptyx View Post
    That said, you don't want to have an algae breakout with new plaster! Get some bleach in there quick.
    Good catch!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok doing it now and I'll report back tomorrow thanks
    i have concentrated bleach from aldi is that ok? Says safe for HE on it

- - - Updated - - -

Ok doing it now and I'll report back tomorrow thanks
    i have concentrated bleach from aldi is that ok? Says safe for HE on it

and just double checking safe to add bleach to fresh diamondbrite pool right

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, okay to use ALDI bleach. As long as it doesn't say splashless or scented. Just dribble it into the return stream so it disperses fast. If you're really worried, reach for the pool brush immediately after and make a few swipes to set up some cross-currents.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for quick response I'll recheck tomorrow, I added bleach I'm going to let that circulate for a hour or so then I'll run waterfall all night