Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner 45MHP2 Pump Install

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner 45MHP2 Pump Install

I am ready to order a Stenner Pump to upgrade my bleach addition system from the Liquidator. Is there an advantage to upgrade the supplied tubing from 1/4" to 3/8"?
    I will go with the black tubing but do not understand what difference the tubing size will make. Also, I'm planning on reusing the Liquidator tank, any problems with that?
    24000gal IG, VL, 1.5 HP, Pentair 60/60D Sand 325#, BBB, Stenner45MHP2 (Replaced Liquidator), Dolphin M400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner 45MHP2 Pump Install

The larger tube would be great if you have really long runs, but the Stenner handles head pressure great so not likely anything you need to worry about. I own three Stenners, a single head and two dual heads, each is pumping up 10 feet, over 30, and down 10. Or, drawing the same distance. Not for my pool though I use them for a 300 gallon reef tank but need the amounts being moved even more exact and they work great!
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

The larger tubing is not really needed for a pool application. If you were using the big pump tubes, and pumping over a long distance the large tubing might be a worthwhile upgrade.

What pump are you going with? The fixed rate, 100 psi pump controlled by a timer works great for a pool. It's not only cheaper but a lot simpler and more reliable than the adjustable rate pumps with the mechanical timer.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

After research I also wanted to stay away from the adjustable/variable pumps due to the extra maintenance/repair of that mechanism. I had a timer already so that made the decision easy. I don't think the tubing makes any big difference. If you want more flow, upgrade from the 3 gallon to the 10 gallon. It's the exact some motor, just a larger tubing inside the pump itself. You can change that yourself. I've had my stenner installed about 3 weeks and couldn't be happier. Definitely the way to go for liquid chlorine. My information: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ll-Pentair-ET8
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a variable output pump, but I leave it set to full flow to save on the wear and tear of the mechanism. I just use a timer to adjust my chlorine levels throughout the season. I have been VERY happy with it!.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help. I will tie my Stenner into my mechanical Intermatic timer which controls the filter pump so that the Stenner only runs when the pump is on. I ordered the 45MHP2 adjustable pump. My reasoning was that I will try to run the Stenner at 100% and set the pump timer to inject the needed amount of bleach. If I need to run the pump more than the Stenner I can adjust it down from 100% but should still be a high %. I didn't find a big price difference between the fixed rate and adjustable Stenners.
    24000gal IG, VL, 1.5 HP, Pentair 60/60D Sand 325#, BBB, Stenner45MHP2 (Replaced Liquidator), Dolphin M400