Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't anyone design a decent telepole?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't anyone design a decent telepole?

I am so tired of telepoles with these "twist-lock" segments. They never lock hard enough to keep the pole from collapsing (when pushing a vacuum for example) and if you DO manage to get it tight enough, you can never get them un-twisted without getting out pipe wrenches. And forget it if your hands are wet!

Does anyone make a pole with a lever-lock or some other method of locking the telescoping segments? I am willing to pay for quality. At this point I'd pay double for a quality pole. These cheap twist-lock poles are driving me crazy!

Suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    I don't know what size pool you have, but have you considered a solid full length pole?

That's what mine is, and it works great. But, it came with the house/pool 13 years ago, so know idea where you could buy one today...

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Can't anyone design a decent telepole?

Quote Originally Posted by Backglass
    I am so tired of telepoles with these "twist-lock" segments. They never lock hard enough to keep the pole from collapsing (when pushing a vacuum for example) and if you DO manage to get it tight enough, you can never get them un-twisted without getting out pipe wrenches. And forget it if your hands are wet!

Does anyone make a pole with a lever-lock or some other method of locking the telescoping segments? I am willing to pay for quality. At this point I'd pay double for a quality pole. These cheap twist-lock poles are driving me crazy!

Suggestions?
    I have a lever-lock pole from WalMart that I purchased a couple of months ago. However, it pushes together a little when vacuming but not as bad as the twist-lock type. The only problem I have with the one from WalMart is that by the time you get it extended out, the last section is kind of thin and tends to bend if pulling something off the bottom of the pool with the net.

4. Back To Top    #4

no problems..

I've never had a problem with our vac pole collapsing, just your typical twist to lock ones and it doesn't stick either..

5. Back To Top    #5
    Hmmm...

You know...we've got an extremely heavy-duty telescoping pole that we bought for inside outside cleaning. It wasn't cheap and we ended up getting it from a professional janitorial supply business. I'll have to check and see if the tip could adjust to accommodate the pin system for a pool vac.

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

6. Back To Top    #6
    Most of the telepoles sold for home pools are not high quality and they do tend to 'unlock'. If you get a professional pole (I like the fiberglass ones but they ARE pricy!) they tend to have better locking mechanisms. There are two types of locking mechanisms used in poles, cam lock and compression ring. Most of the less expensive poles use compression rings and they do tend to slip more than the cam lock poles, IMHO. Even cam lock poles will eventually fail because of scale, corrosion, and wear but replacement mechanisms are available for them.

Lever lock poles are just a variation on compression ring and are really not any better.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Most of the telepoles sold for home pools are not high quality and they do tend to 'unlock'. If you get a professional pole (I like the fiberglass ones but they ARE pricy!) they tend to have better locking mechanisms.
    Where can I get one of these poles? I would rather pay for quality and have a pro pole for the next ten years than buy pool store **** every three!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Your local pool supply should be able to order one if they are any good.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    IF they are any good.
    Exactly.

I need to find one on-line. I avoid my local pool store like the plague.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd like to revive this old thread. I'm tired of paying $25 a pop for cheap poles that bend every two months. I've searched the net but can't seem to find one that anyone is happy about.

Fiberglass sounds great, but I don't want to end up with a hand full of slivers. Somebody has to have a good quality telescopic pole that they like and can tell us where to get it.

Thanks in advance.
    19K gal SW in ground Pebbletec in the Palm Springs Area
    Hayward 3400VSR (110 gpm) pump
    Hayward SwimClear C4030 (450 sqft) cartridge filter
    Hayward TurboCell T-Cell-15 SWG
    Hayward H400FDN Heater (400K BTU)
    Hayward Goldline ProLogic controller

11. Back To Top    #11

Growing up in and around the construction industry, You either work smart or hard. Fiberglass is very nice but the splinters as you stated can be very nasty, Wearing gloves isnt always an option esp, when its 100 plus degrees outside. Solution, buy brand new fiberglass pole,shovel,pickaxe and immediately wrap with gorilla tape. That stuff almost wont come off even under water. Ive left things taped in water for a week and noticed no loss of stick to it. My 2 cents.

12. Back To Top    #12

Dave S. just posted about his fiberglass pole a few days ago. He said when he replaces it he's going with aluminum. I agree. If you get very long fiberglass is going to get heavy. I have a 16' 2 section aluminum pole that I got at Lowes and it works great. I don't know the mfg or model but I'll try to find one like it if something ever happens to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Swimline makes some nice fiberglass poles, also Porpoise

14. Back To Top    #14

Try Rainbow Pools in Hopewell Junction. Only high-end PS I know of in the Dutchess/Putnum area.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

http://www.lionpool.com/

The silver maxx pole at the bottom of the page is a good pole. My pool guys use and abuse them and probably get 6-8 months out of them at 15-20 pools a day. More than a home use pole will ever see. The locking mechanism is an internal cam and the pole is heavy duty aluminum.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

16. Back To Top    #16

Have you considered setting the length that you want it to stay at and then simply drilling through it and putting a stainless bolt washer and nylock nut in there to hold it in place? Cheap solution perhaps.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

17. Back To Top    #17

Bought a great fiberglass pole, which I use for scooping leaves out of my pool (I get lots of them, and don't have an automatic cleaner). Love it, it never gets cold or hot to the touch, never bends/breaks ... but now I'm getting splinters. Anyone have experience wrapping their extension pole with bicycle or tennis handle wrap? Can't seem to find Gorilla Wrap online -- is that made by the Gorilla Glue people?
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

18. Back To Top    #18

We got an old pole with our used pool. I think at some point it used to extend but it is full length now and we just hang it over the railing on some hooks when not in use. We use it for our manual vacuum and brushing.

The pole we bought for our leaf net is the second one, supposed to extend but does as you said... slides when supposed to be locked. If you get it too tight, you can't get it lose again. Weak when fully extended. We only use it to gather leaves from the surface... Hubby is a bid OCD and won't always let the skimmer get them If we were using it for anything more I would be searching for a replacement soon!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Dave S. just posted about his fiberglass pole a few days ago. He said when he replaces it he's going with aluminum. I agree. If you get very long fiberglass is going to get heavy. I have a 16' 2 section aluminum pole that I got at Lowes and it works great. I don't know the mfg or model but I'll try to find one like it if something ever happens to it.
    My Lowes 16' pole (2 section) slips from time to time and worse still the hole where the pins go in has bent and it makes it hard to push pins back through. This is after only acquiring this pole in late June!

I'm going to follow the link given and see if I can justify a better pole.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

My daughter just got fiberglass splinters when she used the pole, so we need to find a solution.

I know I've seen extension poles with a large foam grip covering part of it. That's what I'd really like, but don't know where to buy it. Now I'm thinking maybe I can buy a padded wrap in a sporting goods store? I always use it extended, and don't need to collapse it, so a thicker wrap is fine.

Any ideas?
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast