Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Specific Question Regarding TFP CH Test...

1. Back To Top    #1

Specific Question Regarding TFP CH Test...

Greetings all:

While doing my CH testing, I'm getting wildly different results based on whether or not I stir my sample during the the last step of the testing.

The instructions say: "Add R-0012 one drop at a time until the color changes to blue. Multiply the number of drops x 25" My question is, should I be stirring my sample (either constantly, or after each drop) while adding the R-0012 reagent?

If I DO stir, I'm getting a CH reading of around 175 PPM. If I don't stir, it's closer to 375 PPM - quite the disparity in results...and one that could potentially have me make a significant error regarding chem additions.

So....to stir, or not to stir...?

Any and all help would be appreciated!
    18,400 G Kidney Shaped IG PebbleTec pool w/600 gallon attached spa & associated overflow
    Pentair VS DC Pump; Pentair DE Filter, Jandy/Laars Heater, Hayward AquaRite 900 series SWG (new addition...)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Specific Question Regarding TFP CH Test...

Constant stirring.

I do mine with the speedstir. When I switched from manual swirling to speedstir, my CH value dropped 1/3!

A speedstir would make a wonderful Father's Day gift
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Get a SpeedStir, it's the best way to do testing.

Yes, you need to continuously agitate the solution by stirring. Few people have the skill to swirl with one hand while adding titrant with the other, so getting a SpeedStir improves the testing greatly.

Also, make sure you are reaching the proper endpoint. The test ends when the blue color stops getting more blue, NOT when you first see the blue color. This is typically 2-3 drops beyond when you first notice the blue color. Many people make the mistake of ending the test at the first sight of blue and that leads to variations in drop count.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Constant stirring.

I do mine with the speedstir. When I switched from manual swirling to speedstir, my CH value dropped 1/3!

A speedstir would make a wonderful Father's Day gift
    Thanks for the fast reply!

A speedstir is exactly what I use...which, unfortunately, leads to more confusion for me. I just looked at my Municipal Water District's annual water quality report for 2015 (2016 hasn't been issued, yet) and it says that the CaCO3 levels here (Orange County, CA) should be around 330 PPM.

So...what gives? Bad reagent?

I'm setting up a new SWG - I'm trying to dial this thing in before turning it on and this is vexing me....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post

Yes, you need to continuously agitate the solution by stirring. Few people have the skill to swirl with one hand while adding titrant with the other, so getting a SpeedStir improves the testing greatly.

Also, make sure you are reaching the proper endpoint. The test ends when the blue color stops getting more blue, NOT when you first see the blue color. This is typically 2-3 drops beyond when you first notice the blue color. Many people make the mistake of ending the test at the first sight of blue and that leads to variations in drop count.
    AHHHHHHH....THAT may be the ticket.

Off to test again!!!
    18,400 G Kidney Shaped IG PebbleTec pool w/600 gallon attached spa & associated overflow
    Pentair VS DC Pump; Pentair DE Filter, Jandy/Laars Heater, Hayward AquaRite 900 series SWG (new addition...)

5. Back To Top    #5

Trust your testing. Water quality can vary throughout the year depending on the source. If right now they're pulling a lot of snowmelt from rivers and reservoirs, it's going to be softer than if it was pumped from a well.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post

Yep. That was it. I'm now getting repeatable results right at 350 PPM - right in line with what I'd expect them to be, given my experience with water hardness in Orange County.

I'm really glad I asked. I can't even find calcium chloride here - when I asked the guy in the pool/garden section of Home Depot, he said, "wait, you want to ADD hardness to your water?" That gave me enough pause to go back, retest, and ask for help!

Anyway.

Thanks a ton to both JoyfulNoise and Richard320 for your help!!!