Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Sand quality

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Sand quality

Anyone have an opinion on Home Depot pool sand made by quickcrete versus pool sand sold by mom and pop pool supply house. The Home Depot sand is half the price.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Sand quality

It's an old thread and recent posts seem to indicate the quality control is back, but at least look at the sand before you add it and compare to the pictures in My findings on how not all sand is created equal
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

A couple, few years ago there were some issues with the quikrete sand not being sized/screened correctly. But, it has been quite a while since there have been reports of issues. Maybe because quikrete fixed the issue or maybe because nobody buys it anymore. It definitely needs to be #20 silica sand.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I'll probably stick with the known polity of the mop up shop.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Is there an ACE Hardware near you?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=11683357
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

When that deal with Quikcrete quality occured, I spoke with a Quikcrete Salesman who's name I cannot remember.

His response was tepid at best. He told me they had seven locations in the US and a few bad bags at one plant was no big deal. I disagree strongly.

I would suggest staying with HTH or another brand from a pool store. The tiny difference in money can cause a BIG headache if your sand is not correct.

The pictures in the link above are very revealing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School