Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: strength in Chlorometric degrees

1. Back To Top    #1

strength in Chlorometric degrees

Hi !

I would like to know with a little more depth what strength is the chlorine I add to my pool.

I live in Belgium and they display the strength of the chlorine in degrees () as shown here :
    http://www.forever-products.com/medi...l_18_5L_BD.png

They also sell 50 strength in a 25L container.

After some research it appears that this corresponds to Chlorometric degrees, which are about 3.15 times the weight percentage of available chlorine, which can be converted to available NaOCl using the molar masses ratios.

To then convert that to trade percentages, which is what is needed for poolMath, I need the specific gravity of the bleach. As I understand it, this value depends on the production process of the chlorine, and is representative of the quality (lye content)?

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track, and if there exists an easy way to estimate the specific gravity of 50 (=15.09% by weight of NaOCl) chlorine ?

I'm also trying to figure out ChemGeek's PoolEquations spreadsheet, and I'm trying to adapt the levels to fit my bleach concentration. So any help is welcome

Thanks !
    7.25k gallons IGP, vinyl, sand filter, solar heater (manually operated)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: strength in Chlorometric degrees

Where is Matt when you need him.....
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

3. Back To Top    #3

50 Chlorometric degrees is 15.85 % (Trade percent). When you enter the percentage in the calculator, it automatically changes to trade percent for any value over 9.0%.

If you're using 50 chlorometric, enter 15.85 in the percentage and it will work.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry. Busy morning. JamesW nailed it right. The conversion is 1 CD = 3.17gram/liter free chlorine.

As for Richard's spreadsheet, you'll have to email him directly about it as it is not a tool TFP uses regularly (too complex for the novice user). A

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    50 Chlorometric degrees is 15.85 % (Trade percent). When you enter the percentage in the calculator, it automatically changes to trade percent for any value over 9.0%.

If you're using 50 chlorometric, enter 15.85 in the percentage and it will work.
    Thanks James!!!!
    TFP Moderator

Support the site

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Sorry. Busy morning. JamesW nailed it right. The conversion is 1 CD = 3.17gram/liter free chlorine.

As for Richard's spreadsheet, you'll have to email him directly about it as it is not a tool TFP uses regularly (too complex for the novice user). A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh I see where I got it wrong, I (mis)read somewhere that it was 1 CD = 3.17 gram/Kg, or 0.317 % by weight. I think that's where my confusion about specific gravity comes from.

Thanks a lot !
    7.25k gallons IGP, vinyl, sand filter, solar heater (manually operated)