HELP WITH CHEMISTRY PLEEEZE

Jun 22, 2009
Buckeye, AZ
:sleep: ARGH!!!! I am new to this pool stuff, I am in AZ and its HOT and we want to swim, BUT...... my Ph is 8.4 my hardness is 1000 (yes thats a thousand!) my alkalinity is 240. CA is 100. The water is cloudy and I added the recomended pH down and it still isn't helping. I used a dry purchased stuff. Should I use myuratic (SP?) instead? My pool is an above ground 15' round 3'deep. Vinyl sides.I have big sand filter. The pool has been up since the first of May. Clorine levels are 2/4. Can someone tell me what to put in???? PLEASE, my kids are ready to dump the water and play in the mud!!!!

The water is most likely cloudy because of lack of chlorine. I know you have some but probably not nearly enough.

1.. Get some muriatic acid and bring your pH down into the mid 7's

2. You will need to put in some CYA (cyanuric acid) to help protect your chlorine from the sun. Get enough to raise your CYA to 40ppm. I assume it's zero now.

3. Next, get enough chlorine (clorox, bleach) in your pool to get to 12ppm or so. That is most likely the reason your pool is cloudy. You are not keeping enough chlorine in the pool. That said, you must do #1 and #1 first.

Last, your test results look like they are coming from test strips which have a reputation of being wildly innaccurate. I suggest you take a sample of your water to a pool store and have them test for you. Don't buy anything but post their results up here for more information.

If you can, go ahead and bring your pH down now. (strips are fairly good at pH....it's the other stuff they screw up)

Also, do you have CYA available to get into your pool right away?

btroopinaz said:
:sleep: ARGH!!!! I am new to this pool stuff, I am in AZ and its HOT and we want to swim, BUT...... my Ph is 8.4 my hardness is 1000 (yes thats a thousand!) my alkalinity is 240. CA is 100. The water is cloudy and I added the recomended pH down and it still isn't helping. I used a dry purchased stuff. Should I use myuratic (SP?) instead? My pool is an above ground 15' round 3'deep. Vinyl sides.I have big sand filter. The pool has been up since the first of May. Clorine levels are 2/4. Can someone tell me what to put in???? PLEASE, my kids are ready to dump the water and play in the mud!!!!

CA= is this your Cyanuric Acid / stabilizer level?
Hardness - is this total hardness or Calcium Hardness? How did you obtain these test results?

I agree with Dave you need chlorine but we need to confirm if your CYA is in fact 100 which is too high and would require you to drain out some of the water.

Is your tap water/fill water that hard?

Yes, our tap water is THAT hard, it is undrinkable. I was reading somewhere that also recomended draining 60%. But I do need to get an accurate reading of the chemicals. Although, I had an above ground last year and one time I had too much clorine, but never had this problem.

Yes, you should get your CYA level lower thru a partial drain, and the PH asap, and then get some chlorine in the pool, maintaining your FC levels according to the CYA chart. Later you will need to lower the TA. You can read about that in pool school.

I would advise you to get one of the recommended test kits, so that you aren't relying on the strips or bad pool store advice. :wink: There is an article in Pool School that compares the two kits we recommend on this forum.

To avoid future confusion, refer to the CYA as CYA and not CA. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I can confirm that in Arizona the water is VERY HARD and usually a little high on the pH! If your pool or liner is vinyl based, then I don't think the hardness matters as much as with a plaster based pool (where you actually want the hardness) -- but I am not positive. Does excess calcium interfere with any other chemicals? I know it will cause some buildup in and on your pump/filter, but I don't think it affects other chemicals.

Listen to what everyone here is saying about the chlorine. If you are using test strips or even the red/yellow reagent drop test kit, you probably won't be able to measure above 5 PPM, but you need to get your pool up to 12 PPM (as suggested above) to get rid of the cloudiness. You will need a better test kit, since this number will drop quickly as it kills what's probably in your water -- but you need to keep it at 12 PPM for a few days with the pump running.

As a side note, if you ever do get a water softener, make sure it has a hose attachment so you can fill your pool with soft water. Most water softeners only treat the water inside your house, not the outside spigots (since you don't want to use softened water on your plants/trees).

After reading everything,it sounds like the only way to lower the CYA is to do a water change, i read about a 60%. So my pool is emptying --- Then I will get on track with the pH and clorine and stabilizer and all that jazz! After I get it full, and do a water test, I will post it so ya'll can keep me on track!!! THANKS SO MUCH Jan in AZ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.