Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool is little green and cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool is little green and cloudy

I am a new pool owner. I have read a lot and watched a ton of how to videos and I have been given advice by Pinch a Penny. Nothing is working. My pool has been at above 9ppm chlorine since last week. I have added two gallons of muriatic acid over the last two weeks based on my cheap home test kit and pinch a penny's advice. Yesterday this was the test results from Pinch a Penny:
    TC: *ppm
    FC: 9.0ppm
    CC: *ppm
    ph: 7.6
    Acid demand: *
    Base demand: *
    Total alkalinity: 90 ppm
    Calcium hardness: 150ppm
    stabilizer: 40ppm
    total dissolved solids: 5,000ppm

Pinch a penny said to add 5 gallons of liquid chlorine yesterday and we did. It is still cloudy green this morning.

Please help! Any advice is appreciated!
    Heather
    18,800 gallons; sand filter; plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool is little green and cloudy

Welcome to TFP Heather,

The bad news is that it won't fix overnight when it goes Green, nor will it just following their advice to shock it a little with Bleach/liquid Chlorine. You have to get the Free chlorine up, and keep it up there until the pool clears. It takes a little while sometimes. Bleach is fine to use, you just have to use it correctly and consistently.

You also need your own kit to test the water on your own. If you will do that, and learn a little about the basics you can do it. There will be many here to answer any question you have. I hope you'll do that and let us help you fix the mess, and show how to never have it again. Good luck, and enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart---Your SLAM level for 40 CYA is 16. 9 ain't gonna get you there, a week or so or not. You're gonna need one of our recommended "drop based" test kits in Pool School to test yourself and MAINTAIN that level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome to TFP Heather,

"Bleach is fine to use, you just have to use it correctly and consistently."

Do you mean the same bleach you use to wash your clothes? If so how much?
    Heather

5. Back To Top    #5

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html Walmart 8.25% plain unscented is fine.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you
    Heather

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by StraBary View Post
    Thank you
    Just keep in mind, bleach and liquid chlorine are the same thing. The common advice on this site is to use bleach, because in most areas of the country bleach is easier to find and often cheaper. However, FL is not most areas of the country, and often times liquid chlorine from the pool store is both stronger and cheaper than bleach.

5 gallons of chlorine in your 16k pool is enough to raise FC to 30, but you need to be able to accurately measure and maintain FC at shock level until the water clears. What are you using to test your water?

15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, Hayward AQR15 SWG, Barracuda G2 suction cleaner, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Right now the only test kit I have is the simple oto & ph tester. I am getting an interesting test result though. After about a minute or so the test seems to separate or something from the water and there is some type of red in the test results.20170506_085107.jpg
    Heather

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I've seen that! It basically means that your FC level is beyond what your simple tester can handle. That's the reason for our recommended test kits. They are designed to be able to handle the SLAM level FC needed to clean up a green pool.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

I would suggest ordering the TF-100 test kit from TFTestkits.net It ships out of NC so you should get it pretty fast. I'd also consider ordering the XL version of reagents since you are dealing with an ill pool. And the speed stir device makes testing ever so quick.

Also, its helpful to keep a log of your results, along with the time of day of test and what you add. It may show you a trend and its just a good habit to get into when you're learning how to care for a pool.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

StraBury,

Keep all your remaining posts under just this one thread. It's confusing when you post in two places.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School