New sand, already high pressure!

Dus10

Mar 25, 2016
Pine Top, KY
Hey guys, I'm hoping you guys can help some. Yesterday I started my filter running for the new year, I bought it New last year. We initially filled the pool last year new with creek water so I went ahead and changed the sand this offseason. So with new sand I primed my filter, a good long backwash and rinse until it was clear, then switched to filter and everything was running fine at 15psi. I'm about an hour it has jumped to 20psi. I backwashed again and it was back to 16. Again it jumped to 20 in a short time and barely pumping water through. Can anyone help as to why it's doing this? For now I just have it running on recirculate with a chlorine tab in the skimmer, I didn't want to leave it on filter while I was gone today and have it do the same thing. Thanks for any help!

I think you are going to find that the suspicion of Richard (algae) and the issues you had when you opened up last year (algae) are one and the same.

Please help, back washing every day!

You never posted back last year, so I have to ask - did you take control and purchase a test kit rather than continue with guess strips?

What are your numbers now?

FC
CC
pH
CH
TA
CYA

While you stated you were comfortable with the guess strips, I must tel you they do not allow proper testing and eradication of the algae. You really do not have a filter problem and didn't need to change the sand. You need a test kit and to take control of your pool.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

The filter is doing it's job, filtering debris from your water. As it catches the junk, the psi rises.

You have a chemistry issue.....not filter. Once you get your water clear with chemistry (chlorine) and filtering, the pressure will rise much more slowly.

I'm at Walmart now, I haven't tested yet, what test kit do I need for the algae that may be my problem?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm assuming it's a 6 way test kit that I need? The one I'm looking at tests for total chlorine, bromine, ph, total alkalinity, total hardness, cyanuric acid from HTH.

There are two that we recommend. The TF-100 and the K-2006C. I use the TF-100 and it works great for everyday and season startup. The K-2006C has similar testing reagents but in smaller quantities. Check out Tftestkits.net for all your testing needs. Since you have algae, you should choose the XL option with TF-100. That way you know you're covered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.