Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New sand, already high pressure!

1. Back To Top    #1

New sand, already high pressure!

Hey guys, I'm hoping you guys can help some. Yesterday I started my filter running for the new year, I bought it New last year. We initially filled the pool last year new with creek water so I went ahead and changed the sand this offseason. So with new sand I primed my filter, a good long backwash and rinse until it was clear, then switched to filter and everything was running fine at 15psi. I'm about an hour it has jumped to 20psi. I backwashed again and it was back to 16. Again it jumped to 20 in a short time and barely pumping water through. Can anyone help as to why it's doing this? For now I just have it running on recirculate with a chlorine tab in the skimmer, I didn't want to leave it on filter while I was gone today and have it do the same thing. Thanks for any help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New sand, already high pressure!

Is the water green or murky? If so, it sounds to me like it's working the way it should. When you backwash, is the waste water filthy?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a little dingy but not bad at all, I winterized and kept it under cover all fall/winter/spring. But needing a backwash every hour with brand new sand?

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you are going to find that the suspicion of Richard (algae) and the issues you had when you opened up last year (algae) are one and the same.

Please help, back washing every day!

You never posted back last year, so I have to ask - did you take control and purchase a test kit rather than continue with guess strips?

What are your numbers now?

FC
    CC
    pH
    CH
    TA
    CYA

While you stated you were comfortable with the guess strips, I must tel you they do not allow proper testing and eradication of the algae. You really do not have a filter problem and didn't need to change the sand. You need a test kit and to take control of your pool.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The filter is doing it's job, filtering debris from your water. As it catches the junk, the psi rises.

You have a chemistry issue.....not filter. Once you get your water clear with chemistry (chlorine) and filtering, the pressure will rise much more slowly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey Dus10, Welcome to TFP,

What's happening in the pool? If it's dingy in the BW, what does the pool water look like, and do you have a test kit you can post some numbers with?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm at Walmart now, I haven't tested yet, what test kit do I need for the algae that may be my problem?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm assuming it's a 6 way test kit that I need? The one I'm looking at tests for total chlorine, bromine, ph, total alkalinity, total hardness, cyanuric acid from HTH.

8. Back To Top    #8

You need an FAS/DPD chlorine test along with all those tests
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

There are two that we recommend. The TF-100 and the K-2006C. I use the TF-100 and it works great for everyday and season startup. The K-2006C has similar testing reagents but in smaller quantities. Check out Tftestkits.net for all your testing needs. Since you have algae, you should choose the XL option with TF-100. That way you know you're covered.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

You will not find the test kit you want at Walmart. Order a TF100 online and at least include the XL option.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site