Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris P965IQ

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris P965IQ

Hi all, i've been browsing the site the last couple days and am still completely confused on what i need.

I am closing on a house at the end of May, there is a 40x20 pool in the back with a built in (raised) spa in the corner of the shallow. Current owner has a 2 year old polaris F9550. He wanted to sell it used for 850, but i prefer to get a new unit. I am looking around, and both current owner and my real estate agent love the polaris. I am also seeing great reviews on the dolphin s300i (Doheny's discovery?) and M400/500.
    I just came across the Polaris 965IQ (Polaris P965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner | #1 Swimming Pool Cleaner Worldwide | Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaners) which seems similar to the 9550 but has wife (what for), and a swivel cord (I think that's useful).

Current owner leaves the polaris in pool all the time and sets it on weekly schedule. He swears it does a great job, so i am guessing i don't really need to worry about tangling cords.

What exactly does 4WD get me?

Sorry for starting a new thread if that is frowned upon - i didn't want to threadjack! If there are other threads I should check out or reviews posted online please point me there.
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris P965IQ

Hi, welcome to TFP! We actually encourage our members to start a new thread instead of tacking on to an old one, so no worries there! I believe the wifi is to connect the Polaris to any automation system you may have so it can be controlled remotely.

I will step back so those with more experience with robotic systems may advise you further.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for not hijacking another thread. The cleaner probably has Bluetooth to connect to an app on your phone. Some have that so you can steer the robot around or stop/start it. 4wd gets you better traction and navigation so it won't get stuck on bottom drain covers or steps.

I love my Doheny's Discovery robot. It has a weekly timer that can be set for daily, 2x or 3x per week. After a week it shuts off. Mine stays in the pool all the time except during summer when we're swimming a lot, like all weekend. Robots are confusing because they make robots and then give them different names and different colors but they are the same robot.

The Doheny's Discovery is the same as a Maytronics S200, Dolphin Active 20, Triton, and something else I can't remember at the moment. They are all based on the Solartouch series cleaner. S100 has 1 brush, S200 has 2 brushes, S300 also has 2 brushes and adds more control and phone app and S300i adds a caddy and not much else. The S200, 300 and 300i are all the same robot.

There is more about my robot in my pool thread, link in sig. And there is a multi-hijacked, community thread about the Discovery and clones here, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

Oh, and I don't know anything about the Polaris robot.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone have experience with this? My local Leslie's Pool Supply has this and the 825. I really wanted to get the Dolphin s300i but I guess you can't get it online.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can get the Dolphin on the phone though. There are various threads on the subject. I just purchased the Dolphin Active 30i, which is the same as the S300i from Marina Pool.
    Give her a call and you will save lots of $$$, compared to the price from a local pool store.
    SWG 14x32 IG Fiberglas pool. Hayward H250DP heater, Hayward 3202VSP pump, Hayward Pro S220T sand filter, Cover Pools automatic cover, Taylor K-2006, K-1766 and TF-100 test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post
    You can get the Dolphin on the phone though. There are various threads on the subject. I just purchased the Dolphin Active 30i, which is the same as the S300i from

Give her a call and you will save lots of $$$, compared to the price from a local pool store.
    Oh, cool, thanks! That's what I will do!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by AxiomVerge View Post
    Oh, cool, thanks! That's what I will do!
    Looks like I saved almost $400 doing it this way. Holy cow.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, they seem to have great prices often.

Send some to TFP if you want, TFP is a 501(c) charitable organization staffed by volunteers, CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I picked up a F9650iQ about two weeks ago after having a F9450 and I love it. I have it connected to my iAquaLink iphone app and now it is so much easier to have the pool cleaned and ready to go minutes. The "4WD" will walk up walls and lightly scrub the walls. The only problem I found with it that it will not automatically climb out of the pool and into the hot tub/spa and clean that in the same program. Evidently there is a sensor that senses the unit is out of the water and turns off. There is also a swivel/float that helps in keeping the power line untangled and wear and tear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Hello noturbizniss,

Which unit did you end up buying? I am currently looking at the same options you did.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello stuckpipe,

After having the Polaris F9650iQ for a year, would you post your thoughts on it?
    Regards, Paul
    14,000 Gallon IG vinyl; Cartridge Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, model CCP320; Pump: Pentair WhisperFlo two speed, model 012518; Installed ~1994; Test Kit: TFTest Kits TF-100 with Borate strips; Heater: Pentair MiniMax NT (Gas), model HTR-200-NT-STD-NH; Water Level Maintenance: Well

11. Back To Top    #11

Polaris P965IQ

How do you like your 9650iQ? I am seriously considering replacing my Dolphin Oasis Z5. Gets stuck on my drains constantly. Would prefer something with a schedule, WiFi would be a plus. Looking to buy online. Thanks.
    17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.