Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining Water Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining Water Question

I'm going to drain my pool this weekend, jumped in it tonight and it feels chalky to me, I had a high calcium level last year so I assume this is the cause, all my levels had been fine throughout the winter and until now.

I have an in-floor cleaning system and when running the pump these would be working while the pool is being drained would this be a problem when draining the pool via the pump?
    11k gal., IG, Pebble, Hayward 425 Cartridge, Hayward Eco-star Variable speed pump, 3-5-4, Startup 9/1/15, In-floor cleaning system, City Water, Aerator, Full sun, and of course ambition!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining Water Question

I might add that I'm in AZ and our water here is very hard. The last time the pool was filled was 8/2015.
    11k gal., IG, Pebble, Hayward 425 Cartridge, Hayward Eco-star Variable speed pump, 3-5-4, Startup 9/1/15, In-floor cleaning system, City Water, Aerator, Full sun, and of course ambition!

3. Back To Top    #3

What are you testing your water with? Please post up with full set of test results and let's see. I highly doubt that calcium can cause a chalky feeling.

Are you able to isolate the suction to just the floor? If not you really can't use the pool pump to drain the pool. If you can then no water would be going into the in floor system anyways because it be pumped out to waste. Although generally you're better off just renting a submersible pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What are you testing your water with? Please post up with full set of test results and let's see. I highly doubt that calcium can cause a chalky feeling.

I use the test kit that I purchased from this site... I'll do a full test tonight and post the results here.

Are you able to isolate the suction to just the floor? If not you really can't use the pool pump to drain the pool. If you can then no water would be going into the in floor system anyways because it be pumped out to waste. Although generally you're better off just renting a submersible pump.
    Yeah, the suction is no problem, I can get all the suction from floor drain rather than the skimmer.

My question was if it's bad to use the pool pump with the in-floor cleaning system. Once the water line drops below the pop-ups on the stairs and shallow end, the jetted water (from pop-ups) will be spraying into "thin air" rather than a pool filled with water.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the pump is sending the water out the filter drain or wherever, there shouldn't be enough water or pressure to pop the popups up. And if it does, so what? They'll keep the walls damp. It it makes a huge mess, set a bucket or a brick on the offending popup.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, here's my test results.....

FC 6
    CC 0
    CH 775
    TA 70
    CYA 30 (it was 50 all summer last season, don't know where it went?)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If the pump is sending the water out the filter drain or wherever, there shouldn't be enough water or pressure to pop the popups up. And if it does, so what? They'll keep the walls damp. It it makes a huge mess, set a bucket or a brick on the offending popup.
    Yep, never thought of the pressure being reduced, Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

jblizzle, there's the test results above, what's your thoughts??

9. Back To Top    #9

Well the CH is certainly on the high side, but I would not think you would be able to feel it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!