New pool owner looking for help!

Hey Everyone!

I am new to the pool world and working to better understand how to balance my pool. There are so many different opinions out there and I thought I get them here on my own thread :)

The pool is super clean and heated to 78-80 degrees. Next I am working to better understand the chemistry. I have the Taylor k-2005 test kit so that I can get an accurate testing.

So my first question is what do I change first? then after I change it how long before I test again and change the next item? And of course that leads to the following thoughts of what order do I try to balance everything in?

Thanks! Excited to be here and to have a pool!

I have some links to share:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

This should get you started.

The first thing I would do is buy some CYA. You can find it at Walmart or Lowes. Shoot for a CYA of 20 for right now as there might be some in the water already but it is too low to read. It is easy to add but hard to take out.

How are you adding the FC?

I would also like to see you buy this to finish up your test kit:

TFTestkits.net

Your FC test only goes up to 5. The one I linked to goes as high as you need it to.

I am going to give you some *light* reading to do. It is a lot of info so take it a bite at a time. Ask any and all questions you have while your learn it:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I will check back in on you in a little while :hug:

Kim:kim:

Hello Joe and welcome to TFP! :wave: You can use the Taylor K-2005, but it's missing the testing part to test FC above 5ppm, and because it's a drop test it's much more accurate. So I'd recommended ordering the TFTestkits.net right away. As for the numbers above:
- CH might be low. Your signature doesn't say what type of pool you have (vinyl, plaster, fiberglass?).
- PH is on the low end which is fine at the moment or when you are going to perform a TFP "SLAM" (removing algae), but since your water is clear, watch it to make sure the pH doesn't drop any lower which would make your water too acidic and could cause corrosion issues for your heater. For now though it should be okay.
- CYA should be at least 30 for a non-SWG pool. The dot never disappearing means you have little to no CYA (stabilizer) in the water. Increase immediately to at least 30. If you get a lot of summer sun on the water, perhaps even 40.
- FC is on the low end. Once you get the stabilizer in the water and its dissolved, increase your FC to about 5. Never let the FC drop below 2-3. When you order and receive the FAS-DPD testing part that I noted above, you'll see why it's so important.

Hope that helps. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks for the replies! Ok I added a little bit more detail to my signature. :) My wife and I bought this house with the pool in February so picking up as much as a I can here.

As for how I am currently adding FC, I have a powder(Shock) 73% cal-hypo and I have Chlorinated tablets w/stabilizer. I personally have only added a few tablets over the past week after I had the pool opened and the pool guy shocked it all.

I just added the amount of CYA that would get me to 20 from 0. I added powder form by diluting in bucket and pouring into skimmer. After reading more posts it seems sock method is preferred :) but I don't have a need to backwash filter for a little bit so.

After reading everyones post here it seems bleach is the way to go? Is it just easier to manage or cheaper?

Adding picture of current pool state: Clean but starting to get a little cloudy in deep end.
IMG_4731.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.