Silver Supporter
May 1, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Upon looking under the cover, the first week (before tons of rain and highs of 80- lows of 35)
Pool was clear. Now it is cloudy a bit.
Just entered everything in the beta pool math app.
Not sure where to begin...
21kgallon
Chlorine level was high, over the 5 color.. bright yellow

FC- 7.0
PH- 7.2
TA-180- (& color in tube was a bright pink, not red)
CH- was a pink color after the 5 initial drops... Then took 8 drops to bring back to original. 200ppm
CYA- 20- but- that was the top of the vial and I could still see the black dot at the bottom. Not 100% but it was still in view

Cc- took 1 drop
5ac6225803b93c461083aaa7db817202.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ok, has the weather warmed up there in MA enough to explain going from clear to a bit cloudy? Algae could be starting to grow.... Your test kit isn't one of the ones we recommend, is it??

CYA is hard to read under 30ppm. I would suggest using PoolMath and taking it up to 30ppm, and then we'll know its in there.

TA is high, but its least important and this point. And yeah, my test also goes from sort of red to pink then the final drop takes it to HOT PINK!! That next drop doesn't change it a bit so I know the HOT PINK is my final counted drop. We can work on lowering the TA later.

Re: CH.... you have a vinyl pool so you don't need to bother worrying about or adding calcium.

Re: the slightly cloudy water, when you get your pump up and running, I'd suggest taking the pool up to SLAM level and seeing if that is enough to clear up that slight cloudiness. Of course that is after you take your CYA up to 30ppm. Ok?

Enjoying the app? I just started using it too. Its going to be very helpful I think!

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for this!!
I am using the test kits from here.. just haven't changed my signature yet.
It arrived yesterday, so I quickly took the readings (I was​ like a kid at Christmas)

The cya- is the stabilizer we put in the muriatic acid?

I have everything running, it's been good for about a week. Put the filters in two days ago and took off the winter cover as well.

Weather is not stable yet. It was 74 yesterday for about an hour, now today it's 50 and rainy. Averaging about 45 at night.

I can put the stabilizer in this morning. Just want to be sure it is the MAcid that goes in.

Once that goes in, when should I run the next check?

No, not Muriatic acid. Your pH is fine. Cyanuric Acid is what you need, commonly sold as Stabilizer. It's granular and goes in a sock or stocking set in the skimmer. Don;t pour it in the skimmer the way the bottle directs. If you need to backwash before it dissolves, you'll lose it.

It might be time to review Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals Now that you have a test kit and will be able to see the changes, it will make a whole lot more sense.

Thanks all. I was having morning brain.

Should I put in the CA while it's raining out? Is that alright, or should I wait for rain to stop then retest?
Need to go get some new CA

LOL, yeah its okay to put it in in the rain.... it'll get wet in the water either way ;) You want to put CYA in to large socks, tied off and either hung over the side on a stick (like a broom stick or something) or put it in the skimmer leaving the pump running. You can squoosh the socks with your hands now and then (milky white fluid will come out, its harmless but go ahead and rinse your hands off after) to speed up the dissolving process.

Use PoolMath to tell you how much CYA to add to get to 30ppm. Don't go any higher at this point (if at all).

Maddie :flower:

I put in the amount shown in pool math.
And checked the level today.
Maybe I am not reading the tube correctly, but it shows at just under the 20 line. Before it was too the top- well over the 20 line.
Guessing I should put some more CA in.
Actually I will go redo the test now, and take a picture of the tube...

Are you doing the test outdoors on a bright sunny day, with your back to the sun? Also, it is very important that the CYA chemicals have time to mix, especially with colder water. I will shake mine for 30 sec, let it sit for about a minute, then shake/sit repeat 2 more times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I was only shaking it once after the initial shake and wait.
This is what I got just now, but I'm looking at it inside as the sun isn't out.
(Only shaking the one time after the pause)
Looks like it's about 30?
b76171dba0fde5a1eeaba25b079973b0.jpg
2a464612a32a08313fb1a4d02c40c9a9.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is something to try. Add in enough of the mixture to reach 100. Glance, to see if you can see the dot. if so, then add enough to get to the next line (90). Glance to see if you can see the dot. Continue in this fashion until you can see the dot.

See how that goes.

I don't think you are getting enough indirect light. Do you have a brightly lit room in the house? Stand with your back to the light source.

Outdoors is really the best. I believe that the chemicals in the reagent need a lot of indirect light to help obscure the dot.

I don't think you are getting enough indirect light. Do you have a brightly lit room in the house? Stand with your back to the light source.

Outdoors is really the best. I believe that the chemicals in the reagent need a lot of indirect light to help obscure the dot.

Will test it today outside. My guess is that it is good, since it is no longer cloudy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.