Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand out my jets?

1. Back To Top    #1

sand out my jets?

i Installed a new pentair 2 speed pump a couple days ago and when I switch from low to high speed " what looks like sand" comes out of the jest for a couple seconds every time! any thoughts?
    23,000 in-ground salt water pool with liner, 1.5 HP 2 speed Pentair pump, Hayword C4025 cartridge filter, Jandy SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sand out my jets?

My first thought is to ask you to feel it.... does it feel gritty? Often folks can have a bit of algae they think is sand and it when they try to feel it is blows away like dust.

Lets rule in that it is actually sand, ok?

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll try to see if i cant fill it tomorrow morning and post back tonight. But either way IDK why i would have anything come out my jets just from switching my pump from low to high.
    23,000 in-ground salt water pool with liner, 1.5 HP 2 speed Pentair pump, Hayword C4025 cartridge filter, Jandy SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you upsize the pump besides going 2 speed? Did you backwash when the pump was replaced and forget to rinse?

You might be able to rubber-band a sock over your returns and capture whatever it is.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I replaced an old off brand 1.5 hp pump/motor "caught on fire" with a 2 speed pentair 1.5hp. I did do a backwash and rinse the day i installed but that was a couple days ago.

6. Back To Top    #6

What exact pump and filter do you have?

Has the multiport valve position ever been changed while the pump was on?

Try putting a nylon knee-hi stocking over the return to see if it catches any sand.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

The pump is pentair 2 speed whisperflo 1.5 hp. Filter is Pentair PacFab Eclipse 26" sand filter 70GPM. The multi port valve is Hayward but model is faded off. Only moved in to the house a year ago but the equipment is old but the new pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

The pump is too big for the filter. The excessive flow might be pushing some of the smaller grains of sand through the laterals.

The laterals might be cracked.

Are you getting noticeable piles of filter sand in the pool under the returns?

Try the knee-hi stocking thing to catch whatever is coming out for inspection.

I would recommend that you only use low speed. High speed is too much.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok tried to feel the stuff coming out of my jets when i switch over and its not sand its more like dust "smooth" just the same color? dead algae? Also im thinking of changing my old sand filter to cartage type filter Pentair clean and clear 420sqf and thoughts?

10. Back To Top    #10

I think that the issue is excessive flow pushing fine dust through the sand.
    Support the site

11. Back To Top    #11

Maybe i can see that.
    What about the changing to the cartridge style filter. I know the 420sgf pentair is overkill persay maybe a hayward 120? just poking.