Feed Liquid Chlorine

May 2, 2017
Lawrenceburg
I know this is a dumb question, but is it possible to feed liquid chlorine slowly into the pool? What would happen if I were to fill my tab feeder with liquid chlorine and set it to 2 or 3PPM? Would the liquid chlorine immediately go into the pool when I flip the switch on?

Tablet feeder numbers don't equate PPM numbers, it is just an arbitrary number between a minimum flow and maximum flow for that particular feeder. Wjr75 is correct, a tablet feeder is designed to flow water over tablets to slowly erode them and liquid poured in will flow straight out of the feeder the second the pump is turned on.

There are a few ways to automate chlorine delivery, the two most popular and reliable ways is with a SWG or a Stenner pump.

Adding a SWG will cost around $1000-$2000 depending on whether you can install it yourself. You add a few hundred pounds of salt to the pool and the SWG converts the salt to chlorine through electrolysis. These are great because you don't have to buy or haul chlorine. There is some routine maintenance and a few extra things to monitor but most people love them. Salt is only lost through splash out, backwash or dilution through rain so you don't have to add often. You should get a SWG that is oversized, a 40K would be about right for your pool.

A Stenner pump and reservoir can be added for under $300, you fill a reservoir with bleach and the pump doses the pool. It works best if you just get a fixed rate pump operated with a timer. You calculate the output and dial in the timer to adjust how much you add. This is what I did and it works very well. I found a 15 gal plastic barrel on craigslist for about $20 and used that for my reservoir. You still must buy and haul the bleach and make sure you keep enough in the tank.

Either method you choose you still have to monitor the pool with testing, daily until it's dialed in then 3-4 times a week after that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.