Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Feed Liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Feed Liquid Chlorine

I know this is a dumb question, but is it possible to feed liquid chlorine slowly into the pool? What would happen if I were to fill my tab feeder with liquid chlorine and set it to 2 or 3PPM? Would the liquid chlorine immediately go into the pool when I flip the switch on?
    34 X 19 23,000 Gallons; Vinyl Liner; Built 1984
    300lb Howard sandfilter - single speed motor
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns.
    Dolphin S300i Robot Cleaner
    TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Feed Liquid Chlorine

I'm pretty sure it would all go into the pool immediately. They sell Stenner pumps and chlorine reservoirs for this purpose.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Tablet feeder numbers don't equate PPM numbers, it is just an arbitrary number between a minimum flow and maximum flow for that particular feeder. Wjr75 is correct, a tablet feeder is designed to flow water over tablets to slowly erode them and liquid poured in will flow straight out of the feeder the second the pump is turned on.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

See this thread for lots of ideas for DIY liquid chlorine injection ideas.

Homemade Acid OR Chlorine Injection System
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

5. Back To Top    #5

There are a few ways to automate chlorine delivery, the two most popular and reliable ways is with a SWG or a Stenner pump.

Adding a SWG will cost around $1000-$2000 depending on whether you can install it yourself. You add a few hundred pounds of salt to the pool and the SWG converts the salt to chlorine through electrolysis. These are great because you don't have to buy or haul chlorine. There is some routine maintenance and a few extra things to monitor but most people love them. Salt is only lost through splash out, backwash or dilution through rain so you don't have to add often. You should get a SWG that is oversized, a 40K would be about right for your pool.

A Stenner pump and reservoir can be added for under $300, you fill a reservoir with bleach and the pump doses the pool. It works best if you just get a fixed rate pump operated with a timer. You calculate the output and dial in the timer to adjust how much you add. This is what I did and it works very well. I found a 15 gal plastic barrel on craigslist for about $20 and used that for my reservoir. You still must buy and haul the bleach and make sure you keep enough in the tank.

Either method you choose you still have to monitor the pool with testing, daily until it's dialed in then 3-4 times a week after that.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit