SWG Slam and CYA

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Also, thank you very much for jumping right in and becoming a TFP supported. Now you can go nuts uploading pics. :)

As for the chemicals, I'm assuming new pool = new water correct? It hasn't been sitting for long, so there's no algae? If that's true, then I recommend the following:
- If you haven't added salt yet, you'll need to do so to reach the recommended salt level for the SWG. Until you reach that point, your pool will be managed as a non-SWG pool.
- Increase your CYA to "70" as you have a SWG. You can use the Poolmath calculator to help you determine how much granular stabilizer to add. Place it in a sock(s), let them soak, and squeeze often to help dissipate.
- On day one, while the CYA is dissolving, add some bleach for a FC target of "3". Once the stabilizer has dissolved, begin to increase FC and maintain the appropriate FC level as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). The FC range will be higher for a non-SWG pool, but once the SWG is all set and working properly the FC range will be adjusted down to about 5.
- Don't forget to lower your pH. It should never be over 7.8.
- Are you positive there is no CH? That would be odd. Normally we don't worry too much about low CH in a fiberglass pool as most FB pools today don't have calcium in the shell. However TFP does have a recommended minimum level which serves more to prevent stains. So you might want to keep an eye on that, or double-check that test to be sure.

Hope that helps you. Let us know if you have anymore questions. Welcome!

Sorry its not a new pool. Short bought house couple years ago pool in bad shape. Finally coming around thanks to just browsing this site that's when I became a supporter. Did I say awesome site! Now back to pool. Opening this season this is where I'm confused do I bring CYA up before slamming to open? Or both at same time. Pool is pretty green had a very warm winter. Thank you sorry for confusion!

Sorry its not a new pool. Short bought house couple years ago pool in bad shape. Finally coming around thanks to just browsing this site that's when I became a supporter. Did I say awesome site! Now back to pool. Opening this season this is where I'm confused do I bring CYA up before slamming to open? Or both at same time. Pool is pretty green had a very warm winter. Thank you sorry for confusion!
If you had some CYA last year and you have none now, it may have broken down into Ammonia. That takes huge amounts of bleach to neutralize, and it will use the bleach about as fast as you can pour it in.

So... Commence the SLAM Process normally. Water circulating, any debris you can scoop or vacuum out scooped and vacuumed out, pH adjusted to 7.2. Then take FC up to 10. Brush for ten minutes and then test FC & CC. If you have ammonia, your FC will be really low and the CC will be higher than it was. If so, repeat then 10 minute test with 10 FC. Just keep it up until you see the FC stick around to at least 5 and the CC has stopped climbing. Then resume your normally scheduled SLAM Process program, with CYA raised to 30 and FC maintained at 12. When it's all done, then and only then do you start worrying about fine-tuning the other test parameters, raising CYA, and adding salt.

Sorry got stuck at work! Started process Fri. going well ate up some bleach though. Fri. around 11pm FC down to 7 added about 1.5 gallon bleach never got much CC maybe around 1.5 - 2. Sat. morning pouring rain 7am test
FC-20
CC-0
PH-7.8
TA-50
CH-0
CYA-0
salt-2000

Are you sure about having no CYA still? You haven't added any stabilizer? The reason I ask is that with no stabilizer, your bleach is extremely potent. There's no protection to your pool or potential swimmers. I would definitely get some stabilizer in the water ASAP, shooting for an CYA target of 30. Then you can let the FC drop to 12 which is the proper SLAM balance, and continue with your SLAM. Don't worry too much about CCs until you are close to passing the SLAM. Have a nice weekend.

Even if we suspect ammonia, we only recommend increasing the FC to about 10 and seeing if it will remain close to that for about 10 minutes. Once it does, we immediately add stabilizer for that CYA goal of 30 and increase FC only to 12. So you should go ahead and let the FC fall to 12. In the meantime, add the stabilizer right away. Granular stabilizer will work, and place the required amount in a sock and let it start socking. Squeeze often. You can use the Poolmath calculator to determine the dosage for a goal of 30.

From there, simply follow everything noted on the SLAM page (link below) and you'll be in good shape.

Yes I was doing that all day yesterday pretty much staying between 7-14 FC adding bleach. Gradually FC dropping slower after time. At 11pm before bed my reading was 7 added about 1.5-1.75 gallons for the night. This morning it was around FC 20 with hardly any CC 1. Adding stabilizer now.
Thank You

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.