New home. New in ground pool. Many questions.

Is the white PVC pipe clear? How about hose up the white pipe and seeing if anything comes back out. Can you feel into the black at all to see if there is anything caught in the impeller? Can you turn the impeller from there?

Look at the diagram and see what you think while looking at the real thing. Do you need to keep going?

Kim:kim:

Oh yes! I don't think many "normal" people could move a filter full of wet sand. I am not sure how people who have them in sheds so it without wetting the whole area down. Mine is out side and I just do it right where it is.

Yes, that will work, but you'll only need a few cups each time you add. If you have a neighbor with a DE filter, go beg a coffee can-full. Or flag down a pool service truck and offer him a couple bucks. That bag will last you a couple years.

That one seems a bit pricey. Ace has twice as much for less money.

The plastic impeller part of the motor (or atleast what I have exposed in the pic) spins freely, so I'm guessing its not worth it to try and disassemble anything further? I'm going to clean the sand filter but I'm starting to get the impression that I may have simply not added enough water to the pump basket to reprime the pump. The pool level is now below the jets so I imagine I HAVE to keep the pump set to either backwash or Waste at this point or I risk damaging it.

So as a game plan I'm going to:

1. Overflow the sand filter and see what all comes out.
2. Check the pvc lines and maybe blast some hose water up whatever line I can get to to make sure there are no leaves in there.
3. Remount the pump and actually prime it with a half bucket or so or more of pool water before turning it on.

4. Actually maybe then if all things go well actually starting on the SLAM steps Kim mentioned.

If the water is below your skimmer too, then it will just suck in air, unable to keep the pump primed. If you have a valve for the skimmer, you can close it and with a garden hose prime on the pump it should pull from the bottom drain (assuming those valves are open). If you don't have a valve, you might be able to use a rubber plug or gizzmo in the hole inside the skimmer.

If the water is below your skimmer too, then it will just suck in air, unable to keep the pump primed. If you have a valve for the skimmer, you can close it and with a garden hose prime on the pump it should pull from the bottom drain (assuming those valves are open). If you don't have a valve, you might be able to use a rubber plug or gizzmo in the hole inside the skimmer.

There is a pvc pipe marked 'Skimmer' and another marked 'Main'. I was assuming the pump would be able to pull from a bottom drain without me doing anything. How else am i supposed to drain the pool if I cant use the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a pvc pipe marked 'Skimmer' and another marked 'Main'. I was assuming the pump would be able to pull from a bottom drain without me doing anything. How else am i supposed to drain the pool if I cant use the pump?

If you are draining any amount below the skimmer, the skimmer valve needs to be turned off to avoid sucking air.

Pools without a main drain require a submersible pump to drain below the skimmer.

If you are draining any amount below the skimmer, the skimmer valve needs to be turned off to avoid sucking air.

Pools without a main drain require a submersible pump to drain below the skimmer.

If I have a line marked 'Main' is it possible I have a main drain? Or do I have to just wing it, turn the pump on and find out? I just now turned this valve to 'Main' (The bottom line is faintly marked 'Main')

Z42rGQa.jpg

There is also this red valve that Im not sure how it is related-

NWIDES7.jpg

If I have a line marked 'Main' is it possible I have a main drain? Or do I have to just wing it, turn the pump on and find out? I just now turned this valve to 'Main' (The bottom line is faintly marked 'Main')

There is also this red valve that Im not sure how it is related-
Are there drains in the bottom of the pool?

inground-pool-anatomy-640x210.jpg

The red valve might be a return.

The black valve is OFF the direction it is pointed, so in your pic the line marked main is off. Note the labeling:

3406_3portspacesaver_1.jpg

Attachments

• inground-pool-anatomy.jpg
    inground-pool-anatomy.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 83
Unfortunately the water is so cloudy I cant tell. Ive read most main drains are at the deep end and that is where most of the sediment/etc is.
I'm 99.9% sure you have a main drain, because I don't know what else would be plumbed off that valve and labeled main.

If there's solid material and whatnot in the deep end, you probably aren't getting good sunction from the drains anyway.

Someone who knows better than me could chime in with a better solution, but you could proceed with a submersible pump while you learn more about your setup, clean up the solid junk, and avoid any more questions of pump damage.

Back up and running! I have a feeling the problem all along was that I didnt give the pump enough water to prime and that I didn't have the valve marked main in the proper position. I drained the pool another 2 or so inches before it got too dark. I didn't want to let it drain overnight to and have the pump clog so I will be back at it tomorrow. Anyone know of a cheaper source for liquid bleach than Walmart for when I start the SLAM?

Thanks for all the help!

OH happy day! I am so glad you got it going again! Well at least you learned about your pump :roll:

Bleach/ chlorine-

-make sure it is fresh-no older than 3 months!

-Check the % when you are "shopping" for the best price

-look at your pool store for 11% BUT if it is not on the way home or close it might not be worth it.

-Walmart sometimes has "shock" that is at 10 % Here is a link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Essentials-Chlorinating-Liquid-2x128-Oz-Sold-As-Case-Of-2/199760882

I have an Ace Hardware up the road from me. I "rent" their jugs and refill as needed. But again where ever you end up getting it from it needs to be easy for you as you will be going through quite a bit.

Potentially silly question- is there any way I can vacuum my pool with the water level below the skimmer? I have been sweeping all of the dirt into the deep end where the shallow end is clear but the deep end looks extremely murky. Id like to some how clean it out before I start refilling the pool with water.

not silly at all. There are a couple of ways:

-trash pump and hang the hose outside the pool and put the pump pick up over the "junk"

-get a water hose and get a siphon going and hold the end in the pool over the junk on the bottom of the pool and let it flow out that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.