Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intermatic T103 timer help

1. Back To Top    #1

Intermatic T103 timer help

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes.

I wired in my T103 timer earlier this week. The pump will turn on and off with the manual override switch, but the timer dial is not moving.

Here is how I have it wired (this is a 220V circuit). (Note, I followed a wiring diagram I found online that more clearly shows the layout than the sticker inside the timer door)

From the breaker to the timer:

White wire to 1
    Black wire to 3
    Green wire to the green grounding screw

From the pump to the timer:

White wire to 2
    Black wire to 4
    Second white wire (ground wire) to the green grounding screw

There is nothing attached to the "A" lug, which appears to be a neutral. These are exactly as the instructions called for, however the only way it works is in the manual position. What am I doing wrong? It seems as if "A" should have a wire attached, but not clear on which wire that should be.
    20x40 rectangle in ground vinyl pool - 48k gallons
    Curved slide
    Hayward 1hp single speed Superpump, Pro Series S244T sand filter, 1.5" VariFlo XL multiport valve
    Aquabot Turbo-T automatic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intermatic T103 timer help

N,

It appears to me that the clock motor only runs off of 120 volts. So you need the neutral attached to have the clock motor work.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jim,

So in that event, I would need to remove the green wire from the ground lug and attach it to the "A" lug? I am assuming the ground wire from the pump itself can remain on the ground lug.
    Curved slide
    Hayward 1hp single speed Superpump, Pro Series S244T sand filter, 1.5" VariFlo XL multiport valve

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
    Thanks Jim,

So in that event, I would need to remove the green wire from the ground lug and attach it to the "A" lug? I am assuming the ground wire from the pump itself can remain on the ground lug.
    No. Green is ground and ground alone.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

N,

I assume by your answer, that you have no neutral. If that is true, then "technically" that timer won't work for you...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Jim, that is correct. I have a 3 wire setup. White, black, and green from the breaker to the box and black, white, and white on the pump. The wire is 10/3 wire. That stinks because the timer says it works with 120V/240V applications but doesn't mention that the 240v side only works with a 4 wire configuration. What other options are available?

The instructions I followed were for a T104 model from the link below:
    http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...?CommentPage=1

It doesn't mention hooking up a neutral either and seems to have a similar configuration to mine. Is the difference between the T103 and T104 timer the neutral hookup?
    Curved slide

7. Back To Top    #7

It appears the T104 uses a 240V intermal motor, so it just hooks to the two hot wires.
    http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/Inte...-t104-240V.pdf

You could probably switch the motors.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!