Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are these floating flakes and how do I get rid of them?

1. Back To Top    #1

What are these floating flakes and how do I get rid of them?

About 3 days ago we noticed that our pool had tons of these flakes floating on the surface of the water. It is impossible to grab one, as it dissolves when you try to pick it up. Even in the skimmer baskets, they just stay on top of the water and don't seem to be getting sucked down to be filtered. The amount of flakes may have decreased slightly since 3 days ago, but not a lot.

We did give the pool a good brushing 5 days ago, and when we did could see clouds of dirt/dust on the pool floor as we brushed. We hadn't brushed much at all over the winter but did keep the chemicals fairly balanced the whole time since we used the spa occasionally. Could the flakes be something we brushed off the sides/floor?

Our numbers as of this morning are:
    FC= 5.5ppm
    CC= 0
    CH= 200
    TA= 80
    CYA= 80
    pH = 7.6
    Attachment 60334IMG_0094.jpgAttachment 60336
    15K gal, IG plaster, 2 Jandy variable speed pumps (1 for filtration and 1 for spa returns/spillover), Jandy CL Cartridge filter, Delta UV, Jandy gas heater, Rola-Chem for chlorine and acid; pool build completed June 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What are these floating flakes and how do I get rid of them?

Tree pollen. I've had them for weeks and had a lot of success using hair nets in the skimmer to help catch them. After a good rain, it breaks them up and they settle on the bottom for vacuuming. You could also probably use a spray from your water hose to break them off the surface. I think it is starting to slow down where I am, but I'm guessing I'll be dealing with this each spring.

Little Rock, AR - 25,000 Gallons Free-form Gunite (2017)
    Pentaire Intelliflo 2 3hp VSP & Intelliflo Whisperflo 3/4hp pump for water features
    Mastertemp 400K heater
    Clean and Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intellichlor IC40 & Intellitouch Controls

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dirtworm_ato View Post
    Tree pollen. I've had them for weeks and had a lot of success using hair nets in the skimmer to help catch them. After a good rain, it breaks them up and they settle on the bottom for vacuuming. You could also probably use a spray from your water hose to break them off the surface. I think it is starting to slow down where I am, but I'm guessing I'll be dealing with this each spring.
    I think you're right that its tree pollen - after a big rain the flakes seemed to be reduced, but we still have some lingering. How does the hair net in the skimmer work? I may want to try that, but I'm having trouble picturing how that would work (the flakes just gather on the top of the water in the skimmer). Our pool build didn't finish until late June last year so this is the first time we've had to deal with a pool during pollen season. Thanks!
    15K gal, IG plaster, 2 Jandy variable speed pumps (1 for filtration and 1 for spa returns/spillover), Jandy CL Cartridge filter, Delta UV, Jandy gas heater, Rola-Chem for chlorine and acid; pool build completed June 2016

4. Back To Top    #4

Hair net, knee-high nylon, same difference. Like this: Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, we've got them too, my first year in pollen season. I have a leaf skimmer that's tight enough to catch most of it, but it's been impossible to keep up. I just ordered some hairnets, so hopefully that will work, but so far I don't see them heading for the skimmer at all. Plan to try spraying it with a hose tonight to see if I can break it down.
    20x40 28kgal in-ground vinyl built 2011, liner replaced 2017
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D sand filter, Pentair SuperFlow 1HP pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Dolphin Active 30i
    City water, TF-100 test kit + speedstir.
    Recommended Levels | Chlorine/CYA Chart | SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm seeing those every morning as well. started last week. it will eventually stop.

The skimmer sock I use is home depot 1 gallon paint strainers.

These let a bit more through than the hairnets, but work better for
    me as the pollen doesn't completely block them up when I'm away
    and the pump is running.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.