What are these floating flakes and how do I get rid of them?

bmsm6

Mar 19, 2016
NC
About 3 days ago we noticed that our pool had tons of these flakes floating on the surface of the water. It is impossible to grab one, as it dissolves when you try to pick it up. Even in the skimmer baskets, they just stay on top of the water and don't seem to be getting sucked down to be filtered. The amount of flakes may have decreased slightly since 3 days ago, but not a lot.

We did give the pool a good brushing 5 days ago, and when we did could see clouds of dirt/dust on the pool floor as we brushed. We hadn't brushed much at all over the winter but did keep the chemicals fairly balanced the whole time since we used the spa occasionally. Could the flakes be something we brushed off the sides/floor?

Our numbers as of this morning are:
FC= 5.5ppm
CC= 0
CH= 200
TA= 80
CYA= 80
pH = 7.6
View attachment 60334IMG_0094.jpgView attachment 60336

Tree pollen. I've had them for weeks and had a lot of success using hair nets in the skimmer to help catch them. After a good rain, it breaks them up and they settle on the bottom for vacuuming. You could also probably use a spray from your water hose to break them off the surface. I think it is starting to slow down where I am, but I'm guessing I'll be dealing with this each spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tree pollen. I've had them for weeks and had a lot of success using hair nets in the skimmer to help catch them. After a good rain, it breaks them up and they settle on the bottom for vacuuming. You could also probably use a spray from your water hose to break them off the surface. I think it is starting to slow down where I am, but I'm guessing I'll be dealing with this each spring.

I think you're right that its tree pollen - after a big rain the flakes seemed to be reduced, but we still have some lingering. How does the hair net in the skimmer work? I may want to try that, but I'm having trouble picturing how that would work (the flakes just gather on the top of the water in the skimmer). Our pool build didn't finish until late June last year so this is the first time we've had to deal with a pool during pollen season. Thanks!

Yep, we've got them too, my first year in pollen season. I have a leaf skimmer that's tight enough to catch most of it, but it's been impossible to keep up. I just ordered some hairnets, so hopefully that will work, but so far I don't see them heading for the skimmer at all. Plan to try spraying it with a hose tonight to see if I can break it down.

I'm seeing those every morning as well. started last week. it will eventually stop.

The skimmer sock I use is home depot 1 gallon paint strainers.

These let a bit more through than the hairnets, but work better for
me as the pollen doesn't completely block them up when I'm away
and the pump is running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.