Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Motor Leaking Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Motor Leaking Help

Hello, My pool motor seems to be leaking all of a sudden. It sprays water where the motor meets the basket and also at the other end of the motor where the Low/Off/High switch is. Do you think this problem is because of the pool motor shaft? Should I go ahead and just replace it to see if it helps?
    15 X 30 AG Vinyl Pool (13.1k Gallon) | Well Filled | Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Pump | Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo T-210WF Sand Filter | TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Motor Leaking Help

That's in all likelihood it's the shaft seal. The water migrating through the motor is not good. I'd get that fixed quickly.

You should be able to find a seal and gasket set for that pump. It's basically a Pentair Dynamo pump and takes a #200 seal set. There are a lot of permutations of that seal, PS200, AS200, S200,... you get the picture. As long as it's got the 200 in it you should be good.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this all I would need for parts? http://www.sunplay.com/pentair-seal-...FZKCswodlOUPoA

Do I need a seal diffuser or O-ring? I want to make sure I get it right so I can start shocking my pool. Thanks for the help.
    15 X 30 AG Vinyl Pool (13.1k Gallon) | Well Filled | Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Pump | Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo T-210WF Sand Filter | TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It's probably a good idea to get a casing o-ring just in case you damage it when taking the pump apart.
    Other than that, the seal is all else you should need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The motor's impeller won't budge. I've tried using tools and it won't come off. Any ideas how to loosen it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you remove the screw in the center of the impeller? It'll be a left handed thread.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

There is not screw on my impeller. The shaft looks really rusted so I think it might just be stuck on. I'm considering just breaking the impeller off and replacing it. This pump is at least 10 years old. Do you think its worth replacing or fixing?

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd try getting it off and seeing what shape it's in, and if you break it, or can't get it apart, then you can look at replacements.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

In the end I decided that the pump was not worth repairing. The shaft was so rusted that I would rather buy a new pump and not have to worry about something like this happening again. Found a cheap replacement new for $130 and it works great. Thanks for your help everyone!