Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Torque Specs for Perma-Cast Handrailing Anchors?

1. Back To Top    #1

Torque Specs for Perma-Cast Handrailing Anchors?

Hello! Performing some all-around pool maintenance and trying to solve a long-standing issue/concern I have regarding the twisting and movement of the handrail over the stairs. In the cement deck, the anchors are made by Perma-cast (see link below), are brass, and they have one bolt that tightens a wedge against the stainless-steel railing tube. My question is how tight should I torque that bolt down to properly secure the railing but without deforming the tube? Manufacturer specs and install instructions do not list this piece of information.

My railing: S.R. Smith DMS 101 - Official S.R. Smith Products
    The Anchors: Perma-Cast Company

NOTE: Perhaps the particular railing design is prone to twisting no matter what. The only solution may be a railing with a cross-bar (S.R. Smith DMS 103 - Official S.R. Smith Products). Looking to confirm this as well.

Thanks!
    13k Gal. PebbleTec IG pool : Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump : Hayward 8-cartridge filter system : A&A in-floor cleaners : Jandy 115k BTU heat-pump : A&A auto-filler : Stenner 45MPHP10 auto-chlorine feeder : BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Torque Specs for Perma-Cast Handrailing Anchors?

May be too late for your existing rails if they have been deformed by the wedge. But will work in your next rail

We have had pretty good luck with these. Available in a couple of different sizes and materials.

Pool Tool Company Handrail Stabilizing Plug 1.9 (144-a) - INYOPools.com
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak (Rheem, Rudd), Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Torque Specs for Perma-Cast Handrailing Anchors?

Just wanted to report back...

i checked the tube to NOT be deformed, so that's good. IMO, the existing wedges and bolts in the anchors were never properly tightened down when the pool was built. The finished cement patio/decking had texture layer that almost covered the bolt heads! After chipping it away, I wanged down the bolts until they started creaking, checking rail movement as I went. It still moves a bit, but only a wiggle now. It does not completely twist as before.
    13k Gal. PebbleTec IG pool : Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump : Hayward 8-cartridge filter system : A&A in-floor cleaners : Jandy 115k BTU heat-pump : A&A auto-filler : Stenner 45MPHP10 auto-chlorine feeder : BBB Method