Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying a new pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying a new pool heater

My 12 year old heater, pentair minimax, model 250 dv, input 250000 BTU stopped working. Fortunately i had a home appliance warranty which covers pool equipment. They are providing a new heater of the spec below as replacement. My question, is this a good model? Or should i get cash from them and buy a better heater ? Previous owner had a propane gas tank installed in the ground specifically for this heater. I would prefer a solar heater if thats better than gas

Pentair 460737 MasterTemp High Performance Eco-Friendly Pool Heater, Propane Gas, 400,000 BTU https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VU87NW..._o3Tczb4R9TZPA

15K gal, IG (I think its Vinyl not sure), 2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair DE filter, SWG Hayward Aqua rite controller with t-cell-15, Aqualink RS6, Jandy Spa side 4-button, Polaris 280, 400K Pentair Minimax NT Heater Propane, test kit TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying a new pool heater

That's great that they are getting you a new heater but are they making sure the gas line can handle the almost doubling of the required gas flow? Are they covering the cost of installation or just the unit?

Solar panels will give you a very different heating experience compared to gas. Since you have natural gas available that's generally the way people go. I would stay with the gas heater and look into adding solar panels to supplement the gas heater.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

You mean the doubling of gas flow because I currently have 250k btu and proposed replacement is 400k ? I am not sure how that happened. I have attached a pic from the spec sticker of current heater

15K gal, IG (I think its Vinyl not sure), 2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair DE filter, SWG Hayward Aqua rite controller with t-cell-15, Aqualink RS6, Jandy Spa side 4-button, Polaris 280, 400K Pentair Minimax NT Heater Propane, test kit TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

They are covering the cost of installation and unit. I have to pay a $75 deductible plus 70 for installing a block to bring it to code and another $75 for recycling fee as they haul away the broken heater

5. Back To Top    #5

You can't go from a 250k btu heater to a 400k btu without making sure that your propane tank and lines can support the additional demand. The pros here all recommend Raypak gas heaters over any other brand. Otherwise going from 250k to 400k will just heat your pool faster. It won't cost more or use more gas. It always takes the same amount of energy to heat a pool from point A to point B. A bigger heater just does it faster.

I doubt a home warranty service would switch you from gas to solar. Although, solar would be a great option for Austin if you have a clear south or west roof.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I think somebody made a mistake then, they probably assume my current heater is a 400k. They will only replace with the same brand and type. So if i want raypak or a solar heater, then i will have to accept cash from insurance company and buy any heater of my choice and have it installed using a repair man

7. Back To Top    #7

FWIW, I have a 266k btu heater (nat gas) and about a 20-21k gallon pool and it's more than adequate. For an almost no cost replacement I take the replacement from the warranty co. If you get a different brand it may not be as simple as dropping the new one into place and a plumber may have to do the new pipe work. Even if the repair man is really handy it wouldn't be cheap.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery SWCG: Circupool RJ45

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, i am leaning towards accepting the pentair 400k btu replacement proposed by home warranty company. How can i ensure that existing propane tank and supply lines can handle the additional demand ?
    We dont use the heater often, probably twice a year. And we use it just to heat the spa, not the entire pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

The pentair 400k btu is lot more expensive compared to the pentair 250k btu, so if my propane tank and supply line can handle it, i like to go with 400k btu

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, no reason not to. It will heat your pool faster, by quite a bit.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

I would ask them if they are aware they may need to install new lines if going to a nearly twice size btu heater,
    just for peace of mind.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm wondering if you would share who you purchased your home appliance coverage through? We have had to replace the dishwasher, dryer, and have the AC fixed so far and now our pool heater is going out so this type of coverage would have saved us some serious $$ and I would love to look into it!
    17.5k gallon IG plaster ~ 1st time pool owner ~ Resurface & Fill Completed 06/2015
    Pentair SWG 3200 ~ FNSplus Vertical Grid D.E Filter ~ Pentair Intelliflo variable speed ~ Purex Triton Minimax Plus 400 Heater (Propane)
    ~ Aquabot Turbo T-Jet Robotic Pool Cleaner~
    Test Kits: TF-100 kit & K-1766 Salt Drop Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

We had a year of home warranty coverage thru American Home Shield. It was 'ok' because it was free with our home purchase to make use feel ok if there was a failure--and it covered pool equipment. We used it for a dishwasher and microwave, expecting a replacement, but they replaced parts to limp the appliances on until we replaced ourselves recently. Honestly, I don't recommend such a policy. Read the fine print, they don't cover more than a few hundred toward a full replacement (if needed) and when you count up the premiums and deductibles it's cheaper to set money aside to anticipate repairs. Our AC was crapping out and I argued endlessly but they refused to authorize the $1000 max and wanted to keep throwing parts at it. We let the policy lapse and now have a new AC. IMHO, Don't do it.

12000 gal. Chlorine IG Gunite Free-form 32x14 pool + spillover 1000 gal. IG Spa. Pool built in 1986. Caribbean Blue mini-pebble, 7x5 pool shelf (2017). Features: Hayward Tristar SP3200VSP pump, Raypak 266k natgas heater, Pentair cartridge filter, 1Hp Starite spa pump, A&A Manufacturing valve w/ Turboclean in-floor cleaning system refit with A&As Quikclean heads, Auto-fill leveler, LED lights

14. Back To Top    #14

Back to pool heater biz, I'm in Riverside California where they apparently require Low NOx heaters, but there isn't a clear law I see. Anyone have guidance on this? I see on INYOPools.com a Raypak 266k btu for $1500 and a Low NOX version for $1769. I'd like to save the $269 and install myself. I've had the Gas Company out for a meter issue and I know they have the power to fine if there is a repair needed, etc. How would they know its Low NOX anyways? I'm not trying to avoid what seems like a good environmental requirement, but I also don't want a more expensive heater than is necessary.

12000 gal. Chlorine IG Gunite Free-form 32x14 pool + spillover 1000 gal. IG Spa. Pool built in 1986. Caribbean Blue mini-pebble, 7x5 pool shelf (2017). Features: Hayward Tristar SP3200VSP pump, Raypak 266k natgas heater, Pentair cartridge filter, 1Hp Starite spa pump, A&A Manufacturing valve w/ Turboclean in-floor cleaning system refit with A&As Quikclean heads, Auto-fill leveler, LED lights