Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Price Check in Aisle 1 - Replaster pool bids?

1. Back To Top    #1

Price Check in Aisle 1 - Replaster pool bids?

Hi,

I am in NY & have a gunite pool. I believe it was originally built in 1986'ish? I bought the house in 2012 & the previous owners had the pool painted around 2010 to sell the house.

The pool is working well but the paint is fading, chipping - basically its time to redo the plaster - not to mention the tile looks like its straight out of the 1980's (which it is).

I had someone come out & quoted me at $20k:

Empty Pool
    Sandblast
    Prep
    Plaster (white) - other colors +$5,000ish
    Tile (limited 6x6 selection)

I think the refill pool was on my $$$.

Is that a reasonable price for NY? Seems like a lot more than I was planning on

Thanks,
    Rich
    40k IG Gunite pool (47x21), Jandy iQ904-PS, Pentair 011018 VS Pump, Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Filter, Pentair 261152 Multiport
    Stenner Liquid Chlorine Dispenser - 30 gallon tank, Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Pool cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Price Check in Aisle 1 - Replaster pool bids?

Sounds really high to me. You need at least 3 quotes.

I would also suggest a full chip out of the old plaster and not just a sand blast.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What size is the pool?
    Build thread - 15'x30' rectangular gunite pool; 17,400 gal; 5'x8' spa raised 12" w/ 8' spillover; 10'x6' Baja shelf; Two 18" tall columns w/ 27" water bowls; Light travertine coping w/ Light 2x4' split travertine ledgestone; Jules Rustic Blue tile; Pentair IC60 SWG; Pentair IntelliFlo 2 VST; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP; Pentair CC520 Cartridge filter; Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/ ScreenLogic2; Four Pentair GloBrite; Raypak 406 heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi,

The pools is 47' x 21'. I have two more people coming out to look at the pool. I just dont fully understand the pricing in terms of materials which I suspect is what makes this whole thing so expensive.

I was told that it would take a week & the pool would be off limits for 2 weeks after the work was done while the plaster cured.

Somehow I think the pool being down for 3 weeks is a wishful thinking.

Thanks,
    Rich
    40k IG Gunite pool (47x21), Jandy iQ904-PS, Pentair 011018 VS Pump, Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Filter, Pentair 261152 Multiport
    Stenner Liquid Chlorine Dispenser - 30 gallon tank, Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Well that is a pretty big pool so maybe that prices in line. It still seems a little high to me for plain plaster though
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I'm in the Washington DC metro area which is a similar cost market. I just got a quote for my 20x40+additional square footage for the lazy L+ attached spa, prior owners painted and is circa 1980s. I has never been replastered and very little of the original plaster is present and you can see the gunite in a lot of areas, so strong sandblast will remove most of what remains.

I went straight to the sub-contractor that most of the pool companies hire to do their work. My quote is $13k for sandblast, chip out 50 square foot of non-bonded plaster, white plaster, replace tile.

In addition to to the 13k quote, I'm also replacing my expansion joint for about $1k. I opted out of replacing my coping which would have cost me an additional $4.8k. I have an old Syvan pool with safety grip coping, so regular coping wouldn't align very well with the bond beam, deck tile, etc. My quote would be lower if I had a different pool layout.

Since they are a subcontractor, I will have to get a regular pool company to replace my spa light. I will have to hire my own company to truck in water, but they will recommend a company that coordinates well with them.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

7. Back To Top    #7

20 K sounds high but thats a big pool. I would definitely get a couple more bids.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kcindc View Post
    I'm in the Washington DC metro area which is a similar cost market. I just got a quote for my 20x40+additional square footage for the lazy L+ attached spa, prior owners painted and is circa 1980s. I has never been replastered and very little of the original plaster is present and you can see the gunite in a lot of areas, so strong sandblast will remove most of what remains.

I went straight to the sub-contractor that most of the pool companies hire to do their work. My quote is $13k for sandblast, chip out 50 square foot of non-bonded plaster, white plaster, replace tile.

In addition to to the 13k quote, I'm also replacing my expansion joint for about $1k. I opted out of replacing my coping which would have cost me an additional $4.8k. I have an old Syvan pool with safety grip coping, so regular coping wouldn't align very well with the bond beam, deck tile, etc. My quote would be lower if I had a different pool layout.

Since they are a subcontractor, I will have to get a regular pool company to replace my spa light. I will have to hire my own company to truck in water, but they will recommend a company that coordinates well with them.
    That sounds great! 13K would be a deal (at least compared to 20K).

Next quote:
    Renovate pool & add new plaster (white or grey): $11k

Options:
    Sandblast Pool to remove existing paint - $4,500 (How is this even an option?)
    Upgrade to Quartzscape finish - $4,500
    Remove tile & install new 6x6 tile - $6,000

Total: $26,000

Original Quote:
    Drain, remove tile, sandblast existing paint: $9,000
    Tile installation: $7000
    Install white finish: $12,500

Option:
    Upgrade to onyx or cobalt - 6500

Total: $35,000 (-3,500 discount).

Ugg- I should fly a crew in from Florida at those prices...

9. Back To Top    #9

Those costs are pricey. Good luck and glad my 1070's pool is smaller and therefore cheaper.
    1971 Gunite 31x16 IG Kidney shape pool approx 18000 Gallons
    EcoFinish Blue Lagoon
    Sta-rite System3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter
    A.O. Smith 3/4 HP motor, starite pump
    TF100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

The prices are typically based on competition and distance the plaster crew needs to travel. A redo is usually about double the cost of a new finish as the chip out and prep work is considerable. This is why it is a good idea to go with the longest lasting finish you can.

To chip out, prep, and replaster (pebble) with new waterline tiles for us was around 30k. The reason is there is only one plasterer for my area who is 4 hours away. Next closest is 8 hours. I checked with a crew out of St. Louis that I knew and they said the price was reasonable as it would cost them the same to haul materials, etc.

I know the cost is a lot and not what you want to hear, but at least with this information and a few bids you will know whether you are getting screwed or not.
    34K gal, 20'x40' IGP (backfilled and reinforced concrete block walls with concrete floor built mid-1970's; renovated 2017), PebbleSheen Arctic White plaster finish, Lotus Prisma Marine 1x2 glass waterline tiles, Indiana limestone coping, 1.5hp Hayward pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color LED 120v Pool Light, Dolphin Supreme M400 robot, Stenner 45M1 pump, Pentair 320 chlorinator (to raise CYA only)