My sand washed away before we filled up the pool!!

Jun 22, 2009
I just bought a 12' x 33" easy set pool. We worked all day yesterday trying to level off the ground. We dug down the tallest side and used sand to help build up the shorter side, and to level everything off. My husband went and got more sand this morning to finish up and just as he started filling up the pool it came a monsoon!! It washed a lot of the sand down the yard. My biggest concern is that even if we fix everything back and get the pool filled up, that the weight of the water isnt going to be enough to hold the sand down and if we have another big rain, which we will, that it will wash the sand away and the pool will be ruined. Will the sand stay in place once the pool is filled, or is this going to be a problem that we need to do something about now?? Please help, I am about to just box the thing back up and take it back. Thanks!!

We've used an easy set the last few years and haven't had any trouble with the sand washing out once the pool is set up.

Edit: Oops...didn't realize you're building up a short side -- somehow I misread...even with an easy set, building up a low side won't work so well. I agree that you need to dig out to the lowest leve.

From what I've read of other people's stories, building up a low end really doesn't work out, for the reasons you've discovered. Dig down everything else to match the lowest spot. Somebody with AG experience might have other suggestions.
--paulr

You have to dig out the highest point to the lowest point to make it all level. It's a lot of work but you have to do it. You could ruin the pool or worse, be seriously injured if it let's go while you're in it! :shock:

sevver said:
Take some of the dirt from the high side and put it around the sand on the low side. I don't mean a little 6" berm either, put some serious dirt there and compact it the best you can.

Unless you have a roller to compress to the correct level this really won't work. The weight of the water is TONS and will shift and compress any filled soil. So unless you've got an engineer and tester to verify the compaction, dig all the areas down to the lowest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.