The more I learn, the less I know

Jul 19, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Good afternoon. I've been reading TFP for a long time and joined almost a year ago, but never got around to posting. I guess it's time. :)

About 6 years ago I bought a house in Phoenix with a pool and knew nothing. Now things are lots better, I know next to nothing. It's a 12.5k gallon saltwater play pool with a couple waterfalls, a shallow kids play area, a broken aerator valve and lots of mistakes.

First couple years I didn't really understand chemistry and the pool just kinda took care of itself. I'd add chlorine tabs or shock if things went south but that only happened once or twice a year.

At some point the water became sorta "itchy." Then I learned you had to add acid every so often.

Then I learned you need to clean the chlorine generator with that same stuff.

Then I learned you have to clean the filters.

Then I learned you have to remove scale with a razorblade and that takes forever.

I also learned birds can fly under the pool net (we had a Kid Net put in when we moved in) but they can't fly out.

I learned that when the pump is off, you can take the filter apart and then go get dinner. When you come back 1/3rd of your pool will be gone. Because timer.

I learned auto-fills are supposed to fail "off" but they don't.

I learned if you don't clean the filters, then you get to replace them. I learned filters are expensive.

At one point I learned not to store unpainted metal things close to the pool acid. Also, Vice Grips.

I guess the coolest thing I learned was I could walk across the Kid Net and my ankles would get wet but my knees wouldn't.

Now I'm learning about pumps and impellers and part numbers and how things that look the same aren't. This is turning into one of those expensive lessons.

I've bought a couple gimmicky things over the years and a few tried and true things. The gimmicky things didn't always work and the tried and true stuff I managed to lose.

Luckily I've got a killer set of tools and a great attitude so, this pool and I, we can dance with the devil in the pale moonlight as long as it takes, I'm going to win.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

The supreme ultimate best buy thing you can do is invest in a test kit. Start managing your own pool and stop relying on others to tell you what's wrong with it. We'll help you learn if you really want to. You won't be able to fix your pool until you know what is wrong with it.

Phil,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners who know less everyday... :shark:

I'm in the same boat.. Pretty soon I'll have to stop learning as I've already reached the point of knowing nothing... :cool:

Thanks for a great post,

Jim R.

Thanks for the welcomes. Appreciate it. This weekend I'll be rebuilding my pump with the proper parts (which as it turns out were not the first batch of parts listed on Amazon) and then go into deep clean mode.

This summer, once it gets nice and hot here in Phoenix, I think I'm going to try to build a passive solar heater just for giggles. Probably throw a basketball hoop up (got 4 boys) and maybe put another sunshade up (also got a wife.)

Thanks again for the welcomes, seems like a nice community here.

Your post made me laugh and cry because I can soooo relate. I am in the same kind of situation and just posted for the first time myself. I'm going to keep an eye out for all of your posts so we can learn together.

These folks here seem to be top shelf and very down-to-earth.

Thanks again and good luck to us both!

Jim

LOVE IT ALL! Yeah the learning keeps going BUT at least you are learning instead of :drown:

I can't wait to see the Just getting start thread you do to show up this pool you will dance into the moonlight with!

4 boys :shock: Yeah you need some of this as well :cheers: LOL

Kim:kim: