Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding chemicals in a SWG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding chemicals in a SWG pool

My PB's store says to shut off the SWG when adding chems to the pool. I normally do not do this when adding MA, it is diluted in a bucket and spread around the pool.

What are the detrimental effects of certain chemicals to the plates in the SWG? How important is it to shut the cell down?
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding chemicals in a SWG pool

You shouldn't need to shut off the SWG as long as you aren't adding chemicals through the skimmer (which you shouldn't be doing anyway). The only other exception I know of is adding salt. If you have a main drain and add salt it is a good idea to turn off the SWG for 24 hours.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, nothing goes in the skimmer except CYA and then it is in a sock so no big deal.

I have not had to top the salt off yet but you are saying to stop the pump for that? Got it! I can see how the cell would think the level was REALLY high until things disolved and spead around a bit. It was not an issue when we started the SWG, I had added the salt 2 weeks before the PB installed the SWG.

Thanks Jason!
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't want the pump turned off when adding salt just SWCG.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/