Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What pump to buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

What pump to buy?

Need to replace 1hp pentair challenger single speed. I am looking at Hayward dual speed super pump or hayward variable speed vs pentair dual speed or variable speed. Would like peoples opinions that have used these and what brand is better.
    18 x 36 ft inground rectangular pool with vinyl liner, shallow end 3 feet , deep end 8 feet (33000 gallons?)
    Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Superflo VS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What pump to buy?

Been a pool owner of a new build for a year now......did my homework on VSP pumps and BOY has it PAID OFF......can't even tell that I've got something extra running 17.5 hours a day.....Mine is a Hayward.....only brand that "stood above the rest"......hope this helps!

15000 gallon pool (15x30 + 7x7 sitting area), IG-Blue Pebble, Sand Filter-Hayward Pro Series, Pump-Hayward Tristar VS pump, Water Test Kit-TF 100, NEW POOL-COMPLETED ON 5/7/16, City Water w/no restriction, Dolphin M400

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought a variable speed rather than the 1.5 HP pump recommended by the pool guy about a year ago. Our electricity is more expensive than ever, and I would never go back to single, or probably even dual speed, unless the cost structure changed dramatically. I posted my experience with the Ray-Pak/Speck pump here: My experience with the Raypak 1.65VSP (aka Speck/Badu 1.65)

Other than quirky programming, there's nothing that I think about on the pump...didn't really think about it at all over the "winter," when I had it down to a few hours a day.

Co-worker has a Pentair dual speed and is happy - so much quieter than his prior single speed. Sorry I don't have first-hand thoughts on Pentair vs. Hayward pumps.
    James - 15' x 35' IG pool + spa, with aging plaster, est. 21K-25K gallons.
    Ray-Pak PS165VSP and Pentair 420 Cartridge in 2016.
    Disconnected heater (gas line issue). TF-1000.

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure how the electricity cost is more.......proper programming should take care of that

15000 gallon pool (15x30 + 7x7 sitting area), IG-Blue Pebble, Sand Filter-Hayward Pro Series, Pump-Hayward Tristar VS pump, Water Test Kit-TF 100, NEW POOL-COMPLETED ON 5/7/16, City Water w/no restriction, Dolphin M400

5. Back To Top    #5

I think he meant that electricity costs in general in CA are higher than they've ever been, hence the need for the variable speed pump. The variable speed pump definitely dropped his electrical usage.

I've got the exact same pump as you with almost identical running time and I too am very pleased with how everything is working out.
    Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I replaced a perfectly good single speed with a new Pentair Inteliflo VS 011018. It is so quiet and cost a fraction as much in electricity to run. But even if it never saved me anything on my electric bill, I would still have a VS pump. The ability to setup a daily program with the prefect speed for each task, makes a VS pump worth it's cost. I replaced my old pump with a much more powerful 3 hp pump. But not a problem since you can set any speed or power you need, and even if you worry about someone turning to on at full power, you can even set a maximum speed to prevent that.

My pump comes on, cleans the pool, drops down to the correct speed for my SWG to chlorinate, then slows further for just filtration and circulation, if heat is called for and available at my solar, it speeds the pump to feed the solar panels, and slows back down when finished. All the speeds and changes are programmed right into the pump and happen automatically without needing any automation system (except a solar controller to work the solar valve and trigger the preset solar speed on the pump).
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

7. Back To Top    #7

As noted above, I am charged ever higher electricity rates. Sorry for the bad sentence.
    James - 15' x 35' IG pool + spa, with aging plaster, est. 21K-25K gallons.
    Ray-Pak PS165VSP and Pentair 420 Cartridge in 2016.
    Disconnected heater (gas line issue). TF-1000.

8. Back To Top    #8

I recently bought the Hayward MaxFlo VSP2303. I only need a smaller sized pump, so it was between this one and the Pentair SuperFlo VSP. I chose the Hayward because it had the potential to easily integrate with an automation system, if I ever decided that is something I need in the future. Most of the other smaller variable speed pumps (including older models of the MaxFlo) need the use of relays to integrate with an automation system.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

jm1,

I hear ya. I'm in the 3rd tier with PGE at .40/kWh so I'm saving over $115 a month since installing my Hayward VS TriStar SP3202VSP.
    Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit