Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter PSI increases after backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter PSI increases after backwash

Hi all.
    I have a Tagelus TA 50 Sand filter. The pump pressure increases two-three PSI after I backwash it. That seems counter-intuitive to me. What might cause that?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    First time pool owner April 2016 | 11,300 gallons IG Plaster with Water Fall | Tagelus TA 50 Sand filter | Jandy SHPF Pump | Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump | Polaris 280 Cleaner | TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sand Filter PSI increases after backwash

I've read of a few that do that. It seems that some filters have the gauge on the output side of the filter, rather than the input side.

What happens if you block one of the returns?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The position of the gauge is not relevant to psi. That said there is no reason to put the gauge between the filter and pump. Regardless, it has no effect.

I have no idea wht you are seeing a decrease in pressure. How much are you letting it rise before you backwash?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you sure the filter is plumbed correctly? Post a picture of the pump and filter setup.

The position of the gauge is not relevant to psi.
    It most certainly is. If the gauge is before the filter, as the filter gets dirty, pressure will rise. However if the gauge is plumbed after the filter, pressure will drop.

However, I never heard of a filter that has a gauge after the media unless it was plumbed backwards.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Oops! I had to think about that for several minutes but I am wrong......the gauge before or after the filter will make a difference in psi.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the ideas.

It looks like the gauge is attached to the filter; the filter was turned-off at the time of the photos. I cannot tell from the photos where it is relative to the filter.

The filter was running at 20 psi when I decided to backwash it because of some debris in the pools.

Steve20170504_130711_resized.jpg20170504_130657_resized.jpg
    First time pool owner April 2016 | 11,300 gallons IG Plaster with Water Fall | Tagelus TA 50 Sand filter | Jandy SHPF Pump | Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump | Polaris 280 Cleaner | TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Well it looks like it is connected properly. So right now the pressure is 23 PSI? Try backwashing again, and then rinse and see what happens to the PSI. Tap the gauge at each step to make sure it is reading the correct pressure.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Well heck.......I thought they were all directly on TOP of the filter body someplace.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!