Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile Repair Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Tile Repair Question

I have just discovered a section of tiles that have come loose at our cover vault wall. The tiles are pushing up and need to be repaired.

Apparently our tile warranty was only 1 year, so we either need to pay the original pool builder to come do the repairs, hire any tile person we want, and/or DIY the fix.

Seem like a pretty easy fix. However, we would need to get the safety cover completely retracted and out of the way. The tile is above the waterline, so there is no problem with water while it is repaired and the mastic or adhesive cures.

One fix I thought of was to just shoot some good construction adhesive or caulk under the tiles and press them back down into place and be done??? Or I could buy some latex modified thinset and do the repair.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks!
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Automatic Safety Cover. No Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tile Repair Question

2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Automatic Safety Cover. No Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Any idea what is causing the tiles to lift? One year warranty or not, I would still have the builder examine it... hopefully they will work with you.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

4. Back To Top    #4

These are 24" wide full tiles that are sitting on the sloping vault beam. I am not sure what is causing it - they do push back down into place just fine. I am thinking just a change in expansion at the vault end based on our record rains???

We did just go from torrential rains to hot weather when it happened...obviously the original tile job wasn't the best. The grout line at that area is/was poorly done - it was re-done at the pool builders request just after it was built. There is now some missing grout on that leading edge so water could get under that tile...

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

We do a lot of stone construction in New England and fix coping stones with construction adhesive no problem.

I would just remove the two tiles, inspect and clean the area with a brush to remove any loose material and reset the tiles with a Polyurethane Construction Adhesive.
    If there is grout regrout with an epoxy grout.

This would work fine,
    Loctite PL Premium 28 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive-1390594 - The Home Depot
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the tip

I am still waiting to hear what the pool builders mason would charge to "fix" this.

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool builder stepped up - even though it is out of warranty. I was asking what the estimated cost would be to fix it, they said they are currently building 2 pools nearby so they would just have the mason stop by and fix it - at no charge

8. Back To Top    #8

Can't beat that!
    34K gal, 20'x40' IGP (backfilled and reinforced concrete block walls with concrete floor built mid-1970's; renovated 2017), PebbleSheen Arctic White plaster finish, Lotus Prisma Marine 1x2 glass waterline tiles, Indiana limestone coping, 1.5hp Hayward pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color LED 120v Pool Light, Dolphin Supreme M400 robot, Stenner 45M1 pump, Pentair 320 chlorinator (to raise CYA only)

9. Back To Top    #9

Congrats! That is very welcome news

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

10. Back To Top    #10

Excellent, let us know how they repair it.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

11. Back To Top    #11

The tile was repaired several days ago - the repair was a bit tricky as the cover bar sits over the tiles partially even when fully open. I don't think the mason would have known how to remove the bar and retract the cover further away from the tiling area.

They seem to have used standard grout and thinset, but I wasn't around to see them do it. There was some excess grout on the tiles that I was able to wipe off and clean up a little and a couple of tiny chips on one of the tile edges. Even though it isn't perfect it is now repaired and at no cost.