Pool leaking when still winterized

I just bought a house with an in-ground pool 24' x 14' with a vinyl liner and the pool is surrounded by pavers. I don't know the age of the pool and the liner looks like it's in decent shape. When I checked under the mesh cover a few weeks ago, I noticed the water level was a few inches under the skimmer (which is also way above the light). My friend told me it shouldn't be that low so I filled it up right below the top of the skimmer. In three days I checked it again and it leaked to the same level I found it originally. The pool at this point was still winterized and the plugs were in the three returns (two near the steps, one near the deep end). I also noticed when I filled it back up, I had antifreeze back up into the basket near the pump. I also noticed that in the skimmer I had the gizmo and there was water in the skimmer all the way up to the opening on the inside of the skimmer.

I now opened up the pool and started to clean the water so I can start to check for leaks. I have a professional coming in a few days. I would prefer to find the leak myself. I bought some dye but was hoping that someone might know where I should check. The pool leaks about 1 1/2 inches in 24 hours. So I don't know much about this subject that's why I am posting to the forum. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what I can do myself. Thanks!

Since the water level went a few inches below the skimmer, the leak probably isn't at the skimmer. Typically the leak will be just above where the water level is. So look at what is at that level. Maybe its the returns, the lights or maybe the liner has a tear?

Thanks Jkayca, I checked the sides of the steps with dye, the corners (of the liner) with dye, the returns with dye and the liner at that level with my hand. The light was fully submerged (at the lowest point of the leak) so I don't think it's that. I don't want to jump to conclusions but can it be a break in the main drain plumbing outside the pool at the level of the leak? So that may be under my pavers somewhere before it goes back to the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.