Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward, Circupool and 3 " tab rant.......

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward, Circupool and 3 " tab rant.......

Hello All,
    Need to automate my chlorine additions this year and pretty much have settled on a SWG. I have a 36,000 gallon pool and I know the advice is to upsize to something larger, but I would much rather go with an industry leader like Hayward than Circupool. I used manual bleach additions last year and the pool was fantastic, and I did consider a Stenner, but I really dont want to be buying bleach every 2 weeks either.

My 2 main questions are...is there anyone out there that uses the Hayward AQR-15 40K unit that actually has a pool in the 40K gallon size range? Does it keep up? Based upon my pool which lost about 1.5 ppm of FC a day, I would be OK running the pump between 8 – 10 hours per day. I know the cell won’t last as long as others that are upsized, but it also doesn’t cost as much either. A new RJ 60cell is $559 and can only be purchased at Circupool.

Is there anyone who has good/bad experience with the CircuPool Universal? Its supposedly produces 2.0 lbs of per day which is better than the 1.45 of the Hayward, but also requires a higher salt concentration.

Also am I the only one who is bothered by what I consider deceptive advertising by “Discount Salt Pools” aka Circupool? They’re website pretends to be impartial source of information when in fact it is not. The warranty is prorated like everyone else, but they act like its different, and they’re owner does articles touting Circupool and again pretends to be unbiased.....the whole thing makes me question their integrity as a company.

And on one final note does anyone know why companies dont make non-stabilized chlor-tabs? I think the real benefit to salt water systems is that they produce Chlorine without increasing CYA. Most owners have no idea of the inverse relationship between CYA and end up putting too much CYA in there pool. I looked at methods to inject bleach but they all have their own draw backs...would rather not use SWG, but need to leave the pool for long periods of time. SWG seems like the best method but dont like the drawbacks of salt...

Thanks for listening!!!!!
    38,000 gallon vinyl liner, True "L", Sand Filter, Hayward Heater, Diving Board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward, Circupool and 3 " tab rant.......

Get a pentair ic60 intellichlor swg. I have the ic40 for my 17k pool and it is sweet. I saw them on the www for a little over 700. Amazon has the ic60 for 790 and the ic40 for 560.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thats just for the cell!!!! EEK Gads!

4. Back To Top    #4

What are your dimensions? 38K that's a large pool!
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Its actually closer to 36,000 gallons. Its a true "L" with a 20 x 40 section where half of it is a deep end thats 10 feet deep, and the other half around 4 feet deep. Then the "L" is another 12 feet by 20 feet and thats 3 feet deep. Its a big pool................

6. Back To Top    #6

35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

7. Back To Top    #7

Hayward, Circupool and 3 " tab rant.......

Yep ic60. They are pricey.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRJGR View Post
    Thats just for the cell!!!! EEK Gads!
    But it will last for several years. I recall a few years back someone did the math and decided that bleach vs SWG pricewise is about even over the life of the SWG, but many people like the convenience.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

And on one final note does anyone know why companies dont make non-stabilized chlor-tabs? I think the real benefit to salt water systems is that they produce Chlorine without increasing CYA. Most owners have no idea of the inverse relationship between CYA and end up putting too much CYA in there pool. I looked at methods to inject bleach but they all have their own draw backs...would rather not use SWG, but need to leave the pool for long periods of time. SWG seems like the best method but dont like the drawbacks of salt...

Thanks for listening!!!!!
    Because chlorine is a gas at "room" temperature. It must be bound to something to be in solid form, like calcium or CYA or lithium. Or sodium in the case of bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Then I would think someone would bind it with another mineral in order to allow people to properly does pools with CYA....

11. Back To Top    #11

Then I would think someone would bind it with another mineral in order to allow people to properly does pools with CYA....
    Well if you're a chemist you should do that become a multi-billionaire
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I know right? Im gonna get on that right away....as soon as I decide what SWG to get....LOL

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Might want to look into new calcium based pucks, no more cya but calcium scale beyond the eyes can see lol.

14. Back To Top    #14

"Well if you're a chemist you should do that become a multi-billionaire "
    I'll be your first customer! Seems easy enough......
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"