Original round pool won't fit, oval it is!!

mommark

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2014
Midland, MI
After measuring out our yard last night, we came to the conclusion that there wouldn't be enough room for a nice size deck for the 24' round. Now we are looking at a oval agp. Still going with Doughboy. But I am not sure if the filter and pump will be enough, here's the specs.
Need advice please before we say yes. Also, what is the best type of liner?
-1 hp Poweline xpi pump
-15 INJ MOLDED TANK 4 POS VALVE
-CLASSIC DLX THRU-WALL BEIGE

You have not really provided enough details to be able to answer.

The filter size should be a function of the pool size. A 1HP pump will be fine, although I would recommend a 2-speed version.

If you were planning a 24' round pool the oval is close to that size is 15x30. I looks like you previously had a much smaller intex pool and a pump and filter system to go with it. I wouldn't go with a sand filter smaller than 19" for the size pool it looks like you are going to. A 20" or 22" sand filter would be the premium choice, with sand bigger is better.

I agree a 2-speed pump is worth the cost over the 1hp single speed.

After measuring out our yard last night, we came to the conclusion that there wouldn't be enough room for a nice size deck for the 24' round. Now we are looking at a oval agp. Still going with Doughboy. But I am not sure if the filter and pump will be enough, here's the specs.
Need advice please before we say yes. Also, what is the best type of liner?
-1 hp Poweline xpi pump
-15 INJ MOLDED TANK 4 POS VALVE
-CLASSIC DLX THRU-WALL BEIGE

We are looking at a 28' x 16' x 54"
-SILICA II INJ MOLDED 16" FILTER W/6 POS. VALVE
-203POWERLINE 2 SP XPI 1HP PUMP W/HSG Base & 6' cord.

I personally like the beaded / clip type liner and do not care for the look of an overlap liner. The bead makes it easy to install and get it level and minimizes the wrinkles. I also like the pattern options of the beaded liner. You can get some that look like they have a water line tile. I think the overlap type are fairly plain. Although I imagine that is for a reason, they don't want a lot of straight lines when it's hard to keep the liner straight.
The expandable liners look like they would be a fun option if you want one end deeper. That would work better on an oval pool I suppose.

A regular sand filter is all you need. It looks like you have some options on the head for various functions. Go bigger on the filter if you can afford it. You will thank yourself later.

For the XPI series, it looks like you have to pick 1.5 or 2 HP models to get a 2speed. Definitely go with the smaller 2 speed, 1.5HP. You will almost always run on the low speed setting except for running the vacuum hose or if you install solar(?) and low speed isn't enough. I have a 2hp motor and the respective impeller and the flow is actually a bit too much with my simple setup. The higher power unit also caused me to have to upsize the electrical bits even though I don't use anywhere near the 2hp rating.

As a side note, you probably want to verify the 54" wall height is available in the oval shape and model series you are looking at. Looking at the Doughboy website its hard to tell if all series are available in oval and multiple wall heights. I didn't spend enough time clicking the options.

I don't see any pricing listed. It may be worth it to ask the dealer about pricing and how it compares to Hayward or Pentair. If this is a self install you may not have to use the Doughboy labeled pump & filter if you can find better pricing elsewhere.

Good luck with the decision process! Not an easy process and sometimes too many choices can drive you nuts. :confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.