LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I will be replacing my pump soon so taking the opportunity to also redo my suction side plumbing. I would like to use Jandy or Pentair diverter valves, but I'm not sure if I have enough space. See the picture below. I have 3 suction side pipes (2 from skimmers, 1 from main drain) that are pretty close together. I do have room to push my pump farther away from the valves so that the valves could be staggered, but I'm still worried the diverter valves are too wide to fit.

Does anyone have the dimensions on a 2-way diverter valve? I can't find anything online.

IMG_3321.jpg

Thanks, Richard. The center to center spacing is about 5.5", so they should just barely fit next to each other if needed. And as you said, putting them in the vertical pipe would be a good option as well.

A couple more questions:
1. I will probably convert some of the pad plumbing to 2". Should I do this right where it comes out of the ground, at the valves, at the cross, or doesn't matter too much? Seems to me that as long as I use a 2" cross, then it doesn't matter too much.

2. I currently have a gate valve in addition to the ball valve on the main drain line. I'm thinking its a good idea to keep 2 valves on the main drain for winterization purposes - extra insurance in case one of the valves starts leaking air.

Upsizing to 2" where there's a lot of elbows and Tees is probably a good idea, but if the underground plumbing is 1½ don't expect any huge increase in performance. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and a pipe is only as big as its narrowest point.

I know nothing about winterization. Where I live, we rarely even see frost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.