Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Alkalinity

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arnold md.
    Posts
    113

    Alkalinity

    Hello all,

    I know my alkalinity is a little low, 50, but my ph is stable and Fc looks good too. My question is, if I raise my Alkalinity a bit will it help with some plaster discoloring?

    Recent numbers

    Fc- 4
    Cc- 0
    Ta- 50
    Ph- 7.4
    Cya - 70

    Thanks


    Vinny B
    IG Plaster 20x40
    Jandy 1.5hp cartridge filter
    Chlorine pool mineral set up/no longer using
    test kit k2006

  2. Back To Top    #2

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,941

    Re: Alkalinity

    I would not touch a thing pH stability is what you are saeeking and you have it.

    Pool staining is (essentially) unrelated.

    Can you post a decent pic of the stains?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arnold md.
    Posts
    113

    Re: Alkalinity

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I would not touch a thing pH stability is what you are saeeking and you have it.

    Pool staining is (essentially) unrelated.

    Can you post a decent pic of the stains?
    Thanks, yeah will post when I get home. The stains have gotten less since I opened but still seem a bit much since the pool is only 2.5 years old. They are mainly on the sides of the pool.


    Vinny B
    IG Plaster 20x40
    Jandy 1.5hp cartridge filter
    Chlorine pool mineral set up/no longer using
    test kit k2006

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arnold md.
    Posts
    113

    Re: Alkalinity

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I would not touch a thing pH stability is what you are saeeking and you have it.

    Pool staining is (essentially) unrelated.

    Can you post a decent pic of the stains?
    Here is a pic from the top looking down the sides Image1493846106.349512.jpg


    Vinny B
    IG Plaster 20x40
    Jandy 1.5hp cartridge filter
    Chlorine pool mineral set up/no longer using
    test kit k2006

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad YippeeSkippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    8,550

    Re: Alkalinity

    You have a "mineral set up" you say? As in copper and silver and all that kind of thing? Those can certainly cause stains.

    I'd suggest you take a pool water sample to a pool store and ask them to test for metals to see how high you may be? Its is the ONLY time we suggest pool store tests, because the kit is kinda pricey to buy.

    Give us a full set of numbers:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

    Thanks
    Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arnold md.
    Posts
    113

    Re: Alkalinity

    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    You have a "mineral set up" you say? As in copper and silver and all that kind of thing? Those can certainly cause stains.

    I'd suggest you take a pool water sample to a pool store and ask them to test for metals to see how high you may be? Its is the ONLY time we suggest pool store tests, because the kit is kinda pricey to buy.

    Give us a full set of numbers:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

    Thanks
    Maddie
    Yes it is a mineral pool, but I don't have to use the minerals and I have not put one back in for this year. My other numbers are good,
    I will ck the pool store results tomorrow. Thx



    Vinny B
    IG Plaster 20x40
    Jandy 1.5hp cartridge filter
    Chlorine pool mineral set up/no longer using
    test kit k2006

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arnold md.
    Posts
    113

    Re: Alkalinity

    Quote Originally Posted by vbertone View Post
    Yes it is a mineral pool, but I don't have to use the minerals and I have not put one back in for this year. My other numbers are good,
    I will ck the pool store results tomorrow. Thx



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok 0 on metals so i did the vitamin c test and no change in the stain either. I will say it has gotten less over time but still worries me a bit.


    Vinny B
    IG Plaster 20x40
    Jandy 1.5hp cartridge filter
    Chlorine pool mineral set up/no longer using
    test kit k2006

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arnold md.
    Posts
    113

    Re: Alkalinity

    ok so wanted to check back on this. I have found out that the stains are in fact metal of sorts, no metals showed up in my water most likely because there is none in the water but stuck on the plaster. I have seen prior threads that discuss uses of Jacks Magic #2 and that is also what the Pool guy recommended. I just get nervous with what that will do to my pool chemistry. Any thoughts?? My numbers are great otherwise...
    Vinny B
    IG Plaster 20x40
    Jandy 1.5hp cartridge filter
    Chlorine pool mineral set up/no longer using
    test kit k2006

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •