Dolphin Supreme M Series Owner’s Club

Paul & Crystal

Silver Supporter
May 25, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello Robot Enthusiasts!

There is much legitimate confusion in regard to the dizzying array of Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaners. Since purchasing the Dolphin Supreme M500 for my pool in March 2017, I've found myself asking and answering many questions about it. This thread is dedicated to the Dolphin Supreme M Series in an effort to clarify and celebrate the features of this specific design. I invite M series owners as well as those who are confused, curious, and comparison shopping to post here about their experience with…and questions about the M Series.

To kick things off, here's a fun link to the Dolphin M400 & M500 promo video on YouTube:

Dolphin M400 M500 - YouTube

If you own or might want to own an M series, please post your top reasons for selecting your M Bot!

Here's mine!

1. Dual Motors with split brushes.
2. Filters 4200+ gallons per hour.
3. Top loading cartridge filters with both spring and fine mesh options.
4. Reasonably priced and readily available parts and DIY repair options.
5. 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.
6. Easy local service.
7. 60 foot cord.
8. Cart & Remote.
9. 3 1/2 hour cleaning cycle option.
10. Looks really cool!

Crystal

Oohhhh a place for us now. Thanks for posting this up Crystal, fantastic idea!!!

I wanted to post up some details and early pics of mine but pressed for time this morning. I will certainly be adding to this thread as it goes along. It's definitely one of my favorite pool subjects, and I wish everyone had one of these robots.

This is great! I've had Rosie, my M500, for a full season and a half. I'm pretty sure there's still more I could learn. Patrick_B sold me on the M5. I'm sure he mentioned the 10 things Crystal listed in her first post. For me, there were two main reasons. 1. Patrick said so, and 2. All I heard him say was 'REMOTE'! She does a fabulous job! As I've said elsewhere, I still am surprised by what all she picks up. In the beginning, I used the mesh, because I didn't think in a neighborhood in Houston I would have much dust, dirt, or sand. It's not like this is West Texas, Arizona, or Vegas, right?! But then one day for grins, I tried the pleated filter and WOW..... I was amazed at how much fine dirt (mud) and sand the pleated filter picked up. I had no idea I would have that much in the pool. Ever since, I just use the pleated filters unless I've gotten behind on the leaves when they drop here in late winter and early spring (mostly oaks and pines around me). Rosie also picks up crushed granite, tiny baby pine cones, bark, and once in a while pine needles. Luckily my skimmers pick up most of the pine needles since they float a good while.

I think I would miss the remote the most if I had to lose that feature. When I first got Rosie, I used a walker and wasn't sure I could get her out of the pool. The remote seemed like it would give me the best shot. It works great. Even with a walker, I could still drive Rosie up 4-5 of my seven pool steps, grab her by the handle and pull her out. Now with a new hip, it's nothing to get Rosie out of the pool. (putting her into the pool was never an issue)

For those still shopping, I've posted a couple of photos of my Rosie. Thanks Crystal for starting this thread! Happy cleaning everyone!
Suz

'Wings' open

Rosie with all her parts - mesh screen filters. Pleated filters not shown.

Since I would be the sole caretaker of my pool, I wanted the best robot I could afford. I did a ton of searching online to get reviews from different sources. The m500 had the best reviews - at least that I found in early summer 2015. Many TFP members, guides, experts, and moderators recommended Maytronics. I trusted these guys and still do. There are a lot of people who choose other types, brands, or styles of cleaners for particular reasons that suit their pool's size/features, owner needs, and budget. For me the features of the m500 suit me and my pool the best. Maytronics at that time had the best reputation and recommendations.

I have a Polaris 9300 and it kept getting stuck on steps. The remote control function had so much lag that it was worthless. The M500 bluetooth remote actually works although I will need a little more practice pointing the bot.

First 2.5 hour clean in my pool got 95% of everything. I am hoping that either the learning of my pool or changing to a 3.5 hour or using the bottom only will get me to 100%. Did others see a "learning curve" for their robot? How many cycles does it take for full efficacy?

No name yet but Nessie would be appropriate as she is a monster. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Suz!

Welcome...it's great to hear about your experiences with Rosie. Love the pics too! You have a beautiful pool.

I was shocked at how much SLUDGE my fine mesh filters got in my "clean looking" pool. The M really does get at that fine TX/OK dust. I think we get used to it and don't even notice it's all over everything.

Enjoy your weekend and post often!

Crystal

D.C.,

Nessie is perfect! I was just thinking the other day that maybe the "M" stands for monster. In my search I determined that the M series had the most power and heft. I have a large pool and felt I needed the biggest baddest bot I could get! So far, I've been very pleased. Yes, Nessie will get better over time. I've noticed that The Beast Master improves with each use. I always run the 3 1/2 hour cycle because I have a lot of ground to cover.

After you get your leaves out, be sure to try out the fine mesh. You will be amazed!

Crystal

D.C.,

Nessie is perfect! I was just thinking the other day that maybe the "M" stands for monster. In my search I determined that the M series had the most power and heft. I have a large pool and felt I needed the biggest baddest bot I could get! So far, I've been very pleased. Yes, Nessie will get better over time. I've noticed that The Beast Master improves with each use. I always run the 3 1/2 hour cycle because I have a lot of ground to cover.

After you get your leaves out, be sure to try out the fine mesh. You will be amazed!

Crystal
Did you guys research any Polaris models?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hi Not,

I did look into Polaris a bit. The local Leslie's had a couple of models. I looked at the 9550 Sport. While I'm sure it has many virtues...there were a few things that steered me more toward Maytronics Dolphin.

I found the Polaris cart set up to be a little funky. I didn't care for the way the cleaner sits vertically on the cart. It seemed tippy to me. The cart overall did not seem as sturdy as the M cart.

I did not think the single brush looked as fierce as the theee M brushes.

I felt more comfortable with my repair options at my independently owned dealer/service center than I did with Leslie's. This was a big factor in my decision. I also found the S300 models at a different independent dealer here too, but I did not think they had it quite as together as the dealer that had the M models. I do like the S series. It functions a lot differently than the M series and I think it is a great bot. It seems that each pool store I went into had only one model series, not both S and M's in the same store.

There were some negative reviews for the Polaris on Amazon. While I take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt and you can find negative reviews on about anything, I felt that there were some good points made by some dissatisfied owners.

Ultimately, you have to decide which bot is best for your pool. I wanted the most brushing and suction power I could get.

Crystal

Spicer...it's not on Amazon....the M's are only sold in pool stores....

The closest thing to an M on Amazon is this one...

Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner with Caddy and Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JLMUS8W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SgOezbF45QPK0

Or

Maytronics Dolphin Triton Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner ://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q8M0OGE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gkOezbNN4XB46

Reactions: mmdhar
I'm a little late getting back Crystal, but what a great thread once again!

When I built, the best single piece of advice I got was to ditch the pressure cleaner and get a good robot. That guy told me he had a Dolphin premier, but it came standard as a bag unit bottom loader. I knew I would contend with dust and dirt as well as tree fall/junk, and the more I looked the more I wanted a top loader with filter options. After a lot of my own research and looking around the forum, I found out the best and most powerful unit appeared to be the M5.

Although expensive, the advice I got included "$$$ equal cleaning power" when it comes to robots, so I kept this in mind as well. Since I was eliminating the cost of a booster/pressure cleaner setup, I had the option to spen a little more, and what a good choice it turned out to be. Even money, the most powerful Dolphin out there. Not only that, but a much better, and cheaper long term decision. No extra pump, or the energy needed to run it, and the main pump any time I wanted it on. No booster to replace later on either. I got it about ten or so days post fill, and tossed my vac hose to the side ever since, and haven't touched it to this day. I've been a broken record about this thing since week one and can honestly say I couldn't imagine being happier with another cleaner, save perhaps a commercial unit. Based on what this one can do, that would be little gain for a lot more money, at least for my pool. I can also honestly say I have never purchased another product/widget I have been so happy with, barre none. I don't regret one penny spent, and I will replace it in kind with another one when it finally wears out. Just starting the fourth season, and it's like new with the replacement of a couple of wear items.

One member here, and two others I also know personally have bought one of these, mostly based on my testimony. The member here mrcarcrazy bought the Oasis Z5 and he's just as happy as I am. The other two are brothers, and one bought one the Monday after I took mine to his pool one evening for a cookout. Once his brother got a look at his, he ordered one too. Everyone loves them once they really see what they can do for a pool and I think you have to see it to really belive it. I'm actually dropping mine off on another pool today with some folks I'm trying to help clear a pool for, and expect a similar result. With any luck, I'll have them getting a kit and running their pool the TFP way pretty soon as they are just about ready to give up.

Thanks for creating this thread for us, it was well overdue. There are other threads where people love theirs just as much, and we needed a home for ours, same as them. Whatever you choose as a good one, you just want everybody to experience the same thing right? I do, and don't think there is a better cleaner out there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.