Hayward Inline Chlorinator Check Valve Question

Jun 12, 2013
Hey TFP Community -

Been a member for quite some time but because of the wealth of info by searching I haven't really had the need to post - so thanks for that!

Onto my question - Getting my pool installed now (30' round Aqua Leader Elixir) and when ordering, I added the inline chlorinator simply because I hate the floating one. (I'm aware of watching CYA levels and Pool School) From everything I read, when you have a heater and a chlorinator that you should have a check valve in place to prevent the highly concentrated chlorine from corroding the heater coils. I believe the CL220 has a check valve in it - would it be overkill to add the separate valve that I bought? Or just ditch it all together because of the hassle? :p

As you can tell I'm not quite ready to make the leap to pool school. I've used the BioGuard 3 step for years and have had great luck with it albeit spending more money on it. I'm not ruling it out in the future, going to see how this year goes and decide considering I have a lot more pool to chlorinate!

Thanks again for the great info and the awesome site!

I personally believe a check valve is a cheap way to protect your investment in your heater, and especially germane using an inline puck chlorinator.

I hope at some future point you consider reserving the inline for vacations or cold water cya boost, because to really use the [fc/cya][/FC/cya] which is the foundation of TFP, its much easier when the CYA isn't a moving target ;) With that said, we only seek to inform your decisions, not make em ;)

I personally believe a check valve is a cheap way to protect your investment in your heater, and especially germane using an inline puck chlorinator.

I hope at some future point you consider reserving the inline for vacations or cold water cya boost, because to really use the [fc/cya][/FC/cya] which is the foundation of TFP, its much easier when the CYA isn't a moving target ;) With that said, we only seek to inform your decisions, not make em ;)

Thanks! If someone can inform me if I need the check valve when using an inline chlorinator that would be great. I have up until tomorrow morning to decide on whether or not to pull it from my set up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.