Oh no!

Ajpm77

May 3, 2017
Australia
I just bought a house with a pool. Had no trouble using the pool cleaning etc. today I tried to work the spa something has gone badly wrong. I turned the pipe levers so I had from spa and to spa on. Then I turned the pump on. Nothing happened at the spa. I couldn't feel any water coming out of the jets. Then I heard a big water rushing sound and one of the pipes at the back of the sand filter had popped off and water was cascading all over the place. I put the pipe back and switched the settings back to the way they were before then turned on the pump and the same thing happened. What have I done wrong and have I broken it?

Welcome to TFP. Some pictures of your plumbing and what came off could be very helpful in answering your questions. It sounds like you might not have got the valves right and deadheaded the pump.

Deadheading a pump refers to when you either turn a pump on or while the pump is running you shut all the valves on the outlet of the pump so that the water the pump is pumping has no where to go. This will cause system pressure between the pump outlet and the shut valves to go to the maximum the pump is capable of generating and then cause the pump to over heat.

So by the sounds of what you described when you moved all the valves to spa mode you mistakenly actually shut off all the returns to the pool. I'm also guessing that the pipe that separated is the outlet pipe from the pump that connects to the multiport (backwashing) valve on top of your filter. Without seeing some pictures it's hard to say exactly what happened or exactly what needs to be done to fix it. At the very least you will have to reconnect the broken plumbing. Also with some pictures of the plumbing and valves we should be able to walk you through the proper way to set the valves. There's a chance that may be the extent of all that went wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.