Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Friday the gage on my filter was working, increasing pressure by the end of the day. First time running.
Saturday and Sunday I started vacuming out all the rocks,concrete,sand,etc. out of the pool.
Put new set of filters in before starting and was using skimmer sock. Had to clean the skimmer socks about 8-10 times because of all the junk in my pool. Pressure on filter never changed. I realize I have a pretty large filter, but shouldn't it have gone up some? Skimmer socks don't work that well do they?

I have pretty much the same setup as you and hardly ever see any pressure rise in my filter. However, I never close the pool either so I don't usually have much of a clean up and never had to deal with an algae bloom. My guess though is that you do have a fairly large filter and your skimmer socks are catching a lot so I think it is probably reasonable that you don't have much of a pressure rise. Still, after your major clean up, you might consider a hose off just to make sure.

The hard part is to get motivated to actually clean the filter since it can go a long time, 6+ months, before I see any rise at all in the gauge.

Unfortunately most of the gunk sticks to the filters so they need to be sprayed off. You would probably get very little out of the drain plug. It really isn't too bad, most of the time it takes me less than 45 min to clean all four.

Pretty much same setup...pretty easy job to clean but you definitely need to take em out.

A trick showed to me by my builder was when reassembling tank, use a rubber mallet intermittently to knock the retaining ring tight as you tighten the screw. Works like a charm.

mas985 said:
Unfortunately most of the gunk sticks to the filters so they need to be sprayed off. You would probably get very little out of the drain plug. It really isn't too bad, most of the time it takes me less than 45 min to clean all four.

I'm talking about spraying them off while in the tank and letting the gunk run out the drain hole. I can turn mine on the thing they sit on in the filter.
Maybe I'll just do as y'all say and take them out.

linusb212 said:
A trick showed to me by my builder was when reassembling tank, use a rubber mallet intermittently to knock the retaining ring tight as you tighten the screw. Works like a charm.

Whew, that ring made me say a lot of "sunday school" words trying to get it back on. :rant: I have to use these huge channel locks that my hand barely fits around to squeeze the clamp together to get the nut started.

I recently read an article in the local paper about a filter blowing up in the face of the pool owner and killing him. So it is probably safe to say that putting that band on properly is pretty important. Also, an occasional inspection of the parts might be in order as well.

Although this seems to be a pretty rare event, this organization is trying to bring some light to the problem. This page has a list of accidents that have occured over the last 25+ years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.