New pool filter question

ticon

Gold Supporter
May 2, 2017
Utah County, UT
I am having a pool installed now, but I have a filter question. We are installing a very large (52' x 24') pool. The 48K gal volume is a bit less than you might think because we have a big wet deck in the shallow end and there is a 2' wide shelf running down the length on one side that is the same level as the wet deck. Everything will be plumbed with relatively large caliber: there are going to be 3 runs with 2" (2 skimmers and 1 combined drain) to the pad and a single 2.5" or possibly 2 x 2" parallel return to the pool (T's into a 2" loop around the entire pool from which there are 4 jets/ports, one on each side about 4' from corners to hopefully encourage some circulation -- PB's design and we'll see about the circulation). We are also planning on 6-8 deck jets (not yet installed) that will also flow from a 2" loop around the pool to help balance the flow from each jet. The pad is about 20' from the pool with no elevation change.

I was planning on the IntelliFlo VS pump, likely the 2 hp. We will have a NG heater which will be bypassable; my pool builder is a Pentair guy so it will be a Pentair heater. We're going to do a salt chlorinating system also.

I have a filter question:

For simplicity we have been planning on doing cartridge. What does the board think about the Clean & Clear Plus 520 or 420 vs having 2 Clean & Clear RP 200's in parallel? Price seems roundly ballpark for these 2 options. I am looking for ease of managing, cleaning, etc. I could accommodate either option space-wise. The Clean and Clear RP's tout decreased resistance, so I started thinking about the parallel option. Thoughts? I guess I am more asking if the CCRP filter benefits are just hype. When I look at the table on the Hydraulics 101 page and I calculate the flow rate I will need given my pool size, having 2 CCRP's in parallel looks like a lot less head loss. However, I don't know what models that table on the Hydraulics 101 used and it could be that the 420 or 520 has much less head loss then what is in that table.

Also, I would assume the pressure gauges in that situation should read the same. Any other potential issues you can foresee? Which setup would be easier for filter cleaning?

Thanks experts!

I'm sorry, I'm not a filter expert but..... you can't possibly mean to tease us so with the description of this monster of a pool and not show us pictures? We love to follow along with builds.

Sounds like a fabulous pool!

Maddie :flower:

We discuss dual filtering from time to time on this forum. I can't find an advantage. Simply put, if a single filter is large enough (that's the key) then your pool will stay clear.

What advantage are you thinking two filters will provide? Head loss? Nope. You'll be running that VS pump very slowly most of the time and your head loss will be negligible to begin with.

On the surface, two filters seems "clever" but I don't think it's meaningful in reality. BTW, perfect choice on the pump.

Tyler,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool owners with "head" issues... :shark:

I would recommend that you go with the CCP 520.. I just don't see the advantage in having two separate filters..

You are just making things hard on yourself trying to figure flow rates and feet of head.

I say this because, with a SWCG, most of your pump run time will be at some low RPM like 1,000 or 1,200 RPM. At this RPM my 520 filter pressure is only 2 or 3 lbs.

I clean my filter twice a year and could probably get away with once a year, but I would feel too guilty... :p

Do you plan to have automation? If not, now is the time to ask your pool builder how he intends for your SWCG to be off when the pump is off. Automation takes care of this, but without automation something has to disconnect power to the SWCG when the pump is off. Some pool builders rely on the SWCG's flow switch which is contrary to what the manual says.

If you are worried about this, then you could plumb the pad for an additional filter but just cap it off. You could add it later, but I doubt you will ever need it.

You say you are going with the IntelliFlo "2 HP" model... I hope you meant "3 HP" and that was a typo as I would not recommend the smaller "I" versions of the IntelliFlo.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Dave and Jim, thanks for your input on the filter. We'll go with the CCP520. I had considered the dual filter option because I though the head loss may be significantly different and also that cleaning 2 large filters cartridges might be easier than small but more numerous ones in the CCP520, but it sounds like simple is better in this case. That is what my PB felt also.

Jim, I actually meant the IntelliFlo 2 VST, but that appears to be a 3 HP motor. I can only find one model online. Also, I asked my PB about automation. My PB likes to build simple and inexpensive. He likes a basic electrical timer switch. He usually builds so that the timer runs both the pump (he usually uses single-speed pumps) and SWCG at the same time. With my setup where I will likely be running the VS pump at a much slower speed but most or all of the day, I may just put the SWCG on the electrical timer. My PB isn't inclined to go with a high end automation system. I personally tend to be fairly tech savvy, but I haven't spent any time thinking about that issue. Suggestions? Thanks!

Dave and Jim, thanks for your input on the filter. We'll go with the CCP520. I had considered the dual filter option because I though the head loss may be significantly different and also that cleaning 2 large filters cartridges might be easier than small but more numerous ones in the CCP520, but it sounds like simple is better in this case. That is what my PB felt also.

Jim, I actually meant the IntelliFlo 2 VST, but that appears to be a 3 HP motor. I can only find one model online. Also, I asked my PB about automation. My PB likes to build simple and inexpensive. He likes a basic electrical timer switch. He usually builds so that the timer runs both the pump (he usually uses single-speed pumps) and SWCG at the same time. With my setup where I will likely be running the VS pump at a much slower speed but most or all of the day, I may just put the SWCG on the electrical timer. My PB isn't inclined to go with a high end automation system. I personally tend to be fairly tech savvy, but I haven't spent any time thinking about that issue. Suggestions? Thanks!

Tyler,

Your pool will work just fine without Automation.. I just find it a fun thing to have..

I was not trying to persuade you to get automation, I was just pointing out a possible problem that can happen without it. It sounds like you have a good plan by using a timer to control the SWCG.

As far as the IntelliFlo VST... the standard 3 HP unit is great.. But they also make an IntelliFlo i1 and i2, which are reduced HP units for special applications, and I do not recommend them. Just better to be warned, just in case.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.