Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner trying to tame green swamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy New pool owner trying to tame green swamp

Pool has been dark green for a couple of months now.
    Just got the test kit and did a water test.

FC - 0
    CC or TC - 0
    pH - >8.2
    TA - 70
    CH - 400
    CYA - 0

what should I do, should I just start dumping some bleach tomorrow to get started?
    30K to 35K Gallons, IG, Plaster, Hayward Super II RS 1500, Hayward ProGrid DE filter, Hayward AquaRite, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner trying to tame green swamp

Go to PoolMath and see how much Muriatic Acid it will take to lower pH to 7.2 - add the acid slowly and one quart at a time and retest every half hour. It is very strong. Handle with care. You can get MA at Lowes in the paint section.

Next add Stabilizer in a sock hanging in front of the return with pump on to raise CYA to 30-40 (check PoolMath for amount. Again, better to put in less and slowly than to overshoot. There is no way to lower CYA other than replacing the water, so be careful.)

When your pH is 7.2 and CYA 30-40, then check the CYA/Chlorine chart and maintain above your Shock level according to the SLAM procedure.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link to chart

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

but you have to put your info in PoolMath first and get those numbers up before you start to SLAM

Also, go to the Pool School section and read up on the process. It sounds more complicated than it is. Hardest part is patience - can take a couple weeks

One more thing, are you sure your pool is 45,000 gallons? That is a huge pool and the size makes a big difference when it comes to chemicals. You do not want to add too much, as I said above, some are impossible to remove. Just check to make sure you know exactly how many gallons your pool holds.
    Vinyl IG 18x43 25,000 gallon
    Hayward Pro s244T 300 lb Sand (with occasional addition of clarifier)
    1.5 HP pump; Polaris 380 with booster pump; Hayward H400 gas heater
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a link to the slam, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

been slamming for 2 weeks now, the water is clear and blue, overnight chlorine loss is minimal, but I just can't seem to get the CC down to under 0.5ppm? what am I missing here?
    30K to 35K Gallons, IG, Plaster, Hayward Super II RS 1500, Hayward ProGrid DE filter, Hayward AquaRite, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump

5. Back To Top    #5

What water sample size for the FAS-DPD chlorine test are you using?
    Do you have a cover?

If you are passing the OCLT and the water is clear, I might be inclined to just ignore the low CC for now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I used the 10 ml sample. No I don't have a cover.